Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to implement WiFi connectivity for solar farms despite forest isolation?

gavinray

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

I'm facing an interesting challenge and would like some advice on WiFi connections. In my house, there is a router and I need to transmit the WiFi signal to a place about 100 meters away from the house, where there is a solar farm with a photovoltaic inverter that requires WiFi communication. The problem was that there was a small forest between the house and the power plant and it was impossible to lay the cable underground.

I'm looking for some solutions to achieve a reliable WiFi connection. Some possible options include:

External Antenna: I was considering whether I could install a high gain WiFi external antenna somewhere between the house and the farm to extend the range of the WiFi signal. But I'm not sure how to choose the right antenna type and how to position it correctly.

TP-LINK CPE or similar device: I have heard that some devices, such as TP-LINK CPE, can be used to establish long-distance WiFi connections. But I'm not sure if it applies to this specific case and how to set up and configure these devices.

Looking forward to receiving any suggestions and guidance from you guys to help me solve this WiFi connection challenge. thank you all!

The same forest might also block WiFi signals. Having said that, 100m is a relatively short distance for WiFi signals to cover so a directional antenna at both ends should ensure a good and reliable signal. By directional I mean a Yagi or similar antenna, not a single vertical pole. If the forest is really dense and blocks even strong signals, you could consider making part of the route by cable to a remote access point or even using a wireless repeater.

Brian.

A lot can be lost in cables to external antennas. Consider getting PoE powered access points for "wireless bridge" with built-in directional antennas.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: