Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wiegand 35 bit format help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpyro

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi this is my first post here.

I have a HID card bought off ebay that I am trying to read and it doesn't seem to match the standard 26 or 37 format I get 35 bits.

00000001000101001001100001111011100 this is what the HID reader spits put.

I think the first 2 bits and the last one are parity bits.

The number on the card is 156142 11044867-3 I cant make any correlation between these.

Maybe someone way better than me at bit manipulation could explain it.

Thanks in advance.
Ken

Here's a HID appnote which explains various Wiegand formats including hypothetical Wiegand formats:

You may also want to checkout the following group:

**broken link removed**
RFID Technologies

There is an entire discussion thread on Wiegand Formats which has numerous links.

BigDog

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for the links.
Unfortunately I have been through those already and still cant make sense of the 35 bits I am getting.
I see how the 26 and 37 bit formats work but not the 35 which there are many variants.
Maybe the 35 is scrambled or something sense it can be custom.
The number printed on the card should match somewhat what I read correct?

Thanks
Ken

I am using a HID ThinlineII 5395CG100 and the card is HID also.
I am using a dual trace capture scope to verify whet I am seeing and I get 35 bits total on the two lines D1 D0.
I am trying to interface a AVR atmega168 to the reader.

I am using a HID ThinlineII 5395CG100 and the card is HID also.
I am using a dual trace capture scope to verify whet I am seeing and I get 35 bits total on the two lines D1 D0.
I am trying to interface a AVR atmega168 to the reader.

Ok,

HID uses a custom format which doesn't match the standard Wiegand 26 or 37.

Corporate 1000

HID offers a unique card data format program named Corporate 1000, where the end user owns the unique format and HID
guarantees that the customer’s format will not be duplicated. Furthermore, the customer must provide written authorization
to HID for an integrator or distributor, etc. to be able to purchase the specified Corporate 1000 cards from HID. This gives the
customer absolute control over the manufacture, distribution and delivery of their specific cards. Additional Corporate 1000
facts:
• The customer’s access control panels must be capable of decoding the Corporate 1000 format.
• All Corporate 1000 formats are 35 bits long but the data will be arranged in different increments along that 35-bit
string. A card number, for example, may be broken into three or more parts and randomly spaced along the string.
This ensures uniqueness in every Corporate 1000 format.
• HID currently manages several hundred unique Corporate 1000 formats and many more are still readily available.
• As with all other formats, Corporate 1000 formats are identical in 125 kHz Prox and 13.56 MHz iCLASS contactless
smart card technology.

As a matter of fact, your reader won't read any format other than the HID Corporate 1000 and a Wiegand 26 reader won't your RFID tag.

I know it can be confusing, I've designed a few RFID systems. The RFID formatting can be difficult to sort out.

BigDog

FvM

Well that sucks :)

Thanks for the input I can still use these cards and reader I dont need the number on the card to match what my controller reads.
It just has to be the same every time. So I can read it and see what I get then use that as my approved number.
I just wanted to make it "correct" but I am not above just making it work either.

Thanks
Ken

As long as you order HID cards with that formatting, you'll be fine.

If I remember correctly part of the number identifies the company whose card it is?

In other words Shell Oil cards all have the same prefix.

You can order some fairly inexpensive Wiegand 26 readers on eBay, along with the tags or cards.

And you could sell your reader, they do bring decent money. HID gear is expensive, very expensive.

BigDog

FvM

Yeah the card I ordered was supposed to be 26 bit I am glad it wasnt.
I got these from a place I do work they were in with a bunch of "junk" the building manager asked me to haul off.
I love other peoples junk.
I have sold most of them on ebay I just wanted to play with a few myself.
Thanks

I would suggest sell that one as well and purchasing a Wiegand 26 unit.

The cards and tags are inexpensive for the Wiegand 26 format.

And come in a wider range of size and shapes.

BigDog

Maybe
00000001000101 = parity + facility code?
00100110000111101110 = 156142 - card number
0 = parity?
11044867-3 = card format identification number?

I know this is a really old thread but I just wanted to clear a few things up just in case someone else needs this information.

kpyro's card is 'HID Corporate 1000'. The Site code is 69. The card number is 156142.
There is plenty of information publicly available on this format but I'll save you googling it...
There are three parity bits calculated in the following order:
Even parity (2nd bit), bits 3 to 34.
Odd Parity (35th bit), bits 2 to 33.
Odd Parity (1st bit), bits 2 to 35.
The site code is 3 to 14.
And the card number is 15 to 34.

As long as you order HID cards with that formatting, you'll be fine.
HID readers (unless specifically re-configured) will read many card formats. The 5395CG100 should read all sorts of 125kHz HID compatible cards with varying bit lengths.

If I remember correctly part of the number identifies the company whose card it is?
HID Corporate 1000 cards are unique and tracked by HID.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.