Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wideband Harmonic Radar ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekWizard

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
harmonic radar

Hello all,

I am looking for literature on history, development and latest trends on 'wideband harmonic radars'. Can anyone please help me in this? Any links, tutorials, book suggestions etc.

Please note I'm searching for wideband and not UWB .

Thanks.

harmonic radar application

What is wideband harmonic radar? Sounds interesting.

junction nonlinearity

The idea is to have a radar looking for harmonics of the transmitting frequency and then have such a detector operate over a very wide bandwidth. This will improve its resolution properties etc.

harmonic radar device detection

Why it needs to looking for harmonics of the transmitting frequency, not the fundamental frequency. Can you explain more detail

harmonic radar rf

To detect the points generating non-linearities.. which can then indicate the presence of interesting stuff depending on the power and spectrum of the harmonics .

Something like this ..

http://www.tscm.com/orion.html

radar harmonics

A long time ago I worked on a harmonic radar. The idea is that when a metal junction is illuminated with a strong RF signal the (nonlinear) junction converts some of the power into harmonically related tones and re-radiates the signal. Instead of looking for backscattered energy one looks for harmonics.

The project was known as METRRA. There was a manpack like system developed and apparently there was also a helicopter borne version as well. I don't know that it went anywhere. It did work after a fashion.

The transmitter was around 1 GHz and the receiver was just below 3 GHz. It was not particularly wideband. As I recall the detection range fell off at about 5.6 power of the range rather than the range to the 4 typical for a conventional radar. There are good reasons to consider a harmonic radar. One is that natural objects normally do not have metallic junctions and are thus ignored.

I don't know if this is helpful.

GeekWizard

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Yes this is what I am talking about. I'll google METRRA more..

I'm particularly interested in the development of these types of radars throughout the past decades. I reckon these can be very useful for detecting and finding in anti-terrorism scenarios (some of the projects I am involved with) .. Having a wideband will its increase its accuracy so that pinpoint exact locations etc.

As I recall the detection range fell off at about 5.6 power of the range rather than the range to the 4 typical for a conventional radar.

Can you please elaborate it a bit more ?

Thanks.

The device was manufactured by Cubic Defense Applications for an Army contract. Try contacting them to see what you can turn up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back