Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which corner radar is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony_lth

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, Gurus,
I got two corner radar antenna beam spec. The corner radar is for automobile.
One has 143deg FOV, but elevation FOV is wider, so someone thinks the radar can be interfered easily.
The other has 104deg FOV, and elevation FOV is 19.5deg, so he thinks it's better.
But I think wider FOV, i.e. the 1st one, is better.
Could you comment on this?
Best,
Tony Liu

Attachments

• Corner radar 104deg.JPG
    Corner radar 104deg.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Corner radar 143deg.JPG
    Corner radar 143deg.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 103

If is about a dihedral corner reflector, the main difference between opening angles: orthogonal (90 deg), obtuse (>90 deg) and acute angle (<90 deg) is that the orthogonal angle gives the highest radar cross section RCS (because all the reflected signals have the same phase).
Reflectors with orthogonal angles and reflectors with obtuse angles have two bounces of the signal, when reflectors with acute angles have more than two bounces, depending by the oppening angle (see the plot).

Comparing two obtuse angles reflectors (143 deg and 104 deg) the highest RCS will be from the reflector having the oppening angle closer to 90 deg.
So, 104 deg reflector will have higher RCS than the 143 deg reflector.

Attachments

• Bouncing.jpg
    Bouncing.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 85

tony_lth

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi, vfone,
Thanks a lot.
But my design is corner radar, which is installed on the four corner of a car to detect obstacles.
Not corner reflector. I guess you misunderstood.
Normally for the car's corner radar, the wider FOV, the better. One major vendor can get more than 160deg FOV now for their corner radar.
I am curious about the elevation FOV, which is better for my posted 2 pictures?
Best,
Tony Liu

OK, sorry, I understand now.
In automotive, the elevation angle usually is no greater than about 20 deg (+/- 10 deg).
So picture 1 is more appropriate.

tony_lth

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back