Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wideband (DC to 500MHz) 1uH Coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayce3390

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Coil BW

Hello,

I need a coil (1uH) with a very large bandwidth, let's say 500 MHz bandwidth (DC to 500MHz).

I had a look on manufacturers websites but it seems I m dreaming.

Do you know such coils?

Re: Coil BW

I assume you are looking for a choke.

A good choke shall have a reactance 10x greater than the operating impedance.
So for 50 ohms impedance the choke XL > 500 ohms.

1uH has XL=500 ohms at 80MHz, which means you can use it as a choke for frequencies greater than 80MHz.

jayce3390

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

I don't use it as a choke, I need a coil with a stable 1 uH inductance along a wide bandwidth.

But thank you for your comment, this explanation is really helpfull

Coil BW

An 1uH resonates at 500 MHz with about 0.1 pF parallel capacitance. To be "a stable inductance" at this frequency, the parallel capacitance must be considerably smaller than 0,1 pF. Sounds illusional indeed.

Just for yucks, I checked coilcraft. Much to my suprise, if you use two 491 nH coils in series, you can just squeek by.

I would orient the two coils at 90 degrees to one another. Depending on your application, you might want to place a resistor in parallel with each coil to de-Q any resonances.

https://www.coilcraft.com/maxi.cfm

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back