Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wich mass-production SMD transistors can be used to build K-band LNA and oscillator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terminator3

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
There are many good transistors, for example CEL NE3514S02. In fact they are so good itself, that perform very well placed in unperfect designs. More interesting to use cheaper FETs, beyond stated limits. Similar results can be achieved with NE3512S02. Someone going even further using plastic packaged NE3210S01 (not micro-x package). I found forum threads and some web pages (japanese), that NE3210S01 was used to build K-band LNA, and oscillators. Does anybody tryed to use other devices beyond the limits, to build such devices? For example, ATF-36163, as it have tiny package and characterized up to 18GHz. Maybe some other choices?

I just checked, ATF-36163 can oscillate above 23GHz in parallel feedback scheme, but output is weak, and worked only on one of two PCBs (maybe biasing problem). NE3512S02 works on both boards, signal is strong. Can't measure dBm level, only TX-RX guess of more than 6dBm maybe 10dBm improvement. It looks that it can be used maybe up to 30GHz in some amplifiers and almost to 30GHz oscillators. I do not have NE3210S01, but it seems that it must outperform ATF-36163 above 23GHz, but unable go as high as 30GHz. Maybe using DRO can improve results of ATF-36163. If somebody did know some good FETs to use beyond datasheet limits, will be happy to hear new information.

Status
Not open for further replies.