Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why we have to multiply in AM demodulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

idmond

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
“In AM synchronous demodulation, Why we don’t divide the received signal, m(t)coswt, by cos(wt) using a simple divider circuit instead of multiplying by cos(wt)?”

I asked this question to two professors and I got different answers:

#Professor 1 Reply:
"For your scheme to work you must know exactly what the frequency w is that the transmitter is using, which tends to drift. So try your scheme with dividing
by cos (w+delta)t and see whether you can recover the signal."

#Professor 2 reply was:
"we don't use the division scheme for two reasons:

a- In the real world, noise is added to the received signal and it is going to look like this, m(t)coswt+n(t). If you then divide by coswt, you will get, m(t)+n(t)/coswt, and since the cosine function ranges from -1 to 1, thus for values of cosine less than 1, the noise term will increase much more, so you will get poor SNR.

b- When the cosine function goes to zero, you will divide by zero in this case, so what?"

I am now confused more than ever:-?. which one is true?

Hi
both answers seems to be correct but I agree with the second one more than the first answer.
Also there is another issue, what do you mean by a simple divider? which analog circuit can do the simple division that you suggest?
Looking forward to hear from you.

Hi
both answers seems to be correct but I agree with the second one more than the first answer.
Also there is another issue, what do you mean by a simple divider? which analog circuit can do the simple division that you suggest?
Looking forward to hear from you.

Hi, babakta. Thanks for your reply.

I didn't mean the divider to be simple literally, just any divider circuit that can divide by a function (not the one that divide by a number such as the dividers used in PLLs and RF synthesizers) like the cosine function (or any other sinusoid).

I too understand Professor 2 reasons, but Professor 1 reason seems a little bit vague and irreverent to me.

because, frankly i don't understand what the frequency shift has anything to do with choosing the multiplication scheme over the division scheme. After he told me that, I started analyzing the problem mathematically just like he told me, but again it was a dead end:

1- if we used the usual multiplication scheme for demodulation:

if the received AM modulated, frequency-shifted signal was something like this:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

then the demodulated signal would be:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

2- if we used the division scheme for demodulation:

if the received AM modulated, frequency-shifted signal was something like this:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

and if we pass through a low pass filter, we get the output signal:

**broken link removed**

In both schemes, the spectrum of the message signal m(t) is shifted by an amount of . So if we had a PLL, it would track the frequency of the received carrier as it drifts and the frequency shift would be zero in both schemes, so we get:

1- for the division scheme :

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

2- for the multiplication scheme:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

so in both schemes the problem is solved, the message signal is received.
what's the problem then?

Last edited:

I agree Professor 1 seems to have missed the point a little bit. With either multiplication or division frequency shift would be a problem, so for either scheme you need the PLL to keep the local oscillator synchronized with the incoming signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back