Why using transistor sizes larger than the minimum length?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: transistor size

Hi.
I think using bigger L in analog design is not always necessary. But sometimes we don't have any other way. Some of problems are about fab but don't forget in each Process, we have a max limit over L. I mean L can't be larger than a special value in each Process. On the other hand, enlarging the size of devices would make the Frequency Response worse. and as a result that would reduce the speed. there's a good expression for fT in Razavi book about Analog IC Design.
fT = (µn/2Π) * (Vgs - Vth) / L^2
Afterall we should remember, by increasing the L we can have less short channel effects, and the world is more beautiful. (don't you agree with me!)

Regards,
EZT

To try to answer to konqueror, in RF design one important factor is the parasitic capacitances (Gate, Drain....). Indeed with a few pF cap, it's become hard to have circuit working in the GHz (for eg. WLAN). In many case it seems that for the input transistor L is chosen minimum, and the W is size with consideration for speed,Noise Factor, linearity. For example you can find a tutorial here: **broken link removed**.
And I'd like to add that in recent articles even for non RF circuit minimum size is used (for eg. **broken link removed**). So it is not always true that analog = 2~5 times the minimum size.

in analog design L is ofter 2 times larger than minimus value

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…