Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why there is an earthing for wireless radio with yagi antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmed osama

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all

i saw a wireless radio (VHF/UHF) with yagi antenna above building and there was a earthing for such radio and for the mast of the antenna

my ques. is this earthing for safety only or it has a role in antenna operation

thx all
bye

Re: Why earthing ??

Outdoor antennas should be grounded with an approved lighting arresting device. Local codes may apply. The radio should also be grounded to an earth ground to help protect both the radio and its user. Do not use hot water pipes or gas lines as a ground source.

Quoted from:
"Antenna Safety Tips"
https://www.universal-radio.com/CATALOG/sw_ant/safeswl.html

Regards,
IanP

Re: Why earthing ??

my ques. is this earthing for safety only or it has a role in antenna operation

It is for safety.

In the event of a thunderstorm the earth will allow some static charge to bleed off slightly reducing the chance of a lightening strike. If the mast is struck by lightening it provides a path to ground so the radio equipment will probably just not work anymore rarther than explode.

If there is a fault in some equipement and mains electricity is connected to the antenna cable the earth provides a path for current to flow and blow the fuse/breaker.
Without an earth if a mains wire became connected to the antenna someone could get a shock from the antenna and fall off their ladder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back