Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Once there was an antenna...

Externet

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all.
By mid eighties, I installed a couple of uncommon antennas on 2 large yatchs for communication on all HF marine bands and all HF amateur bands.

1690938126095.png

It performed surprisingly well. I did not compare to other as no other was comparable; all others requiered a tuner/matcher for every frequency chosen and this provided communication half globe away from a 100W Kenwood TS430S on SSB. There was not much improvement to ask. It just worked superb. :oops:

It looked like a 10cm x 10cm x 4cm hard aluminium box but not the one in the picture below. Fed to its single SO-239. Very secured to an aluminium surface (electrically part of hull) with intimate 'grounding' contact, and a single long wire extended hooked to anywhere on insulated end.
1690936804968.png

I was told much later it had a 100 watt 50 ohm resistor inside and the long wire element insulator and nothing else.:oops:

I assume the resistor presented resistive 50 ohm showing excellent SWR at all frequencies and the radiating long wire performed on a 'leftover' radiating power.

- What is your comment about that design 'strategy' this antenna had; is there others similar using the same 'trick' ?
- Would you know what brand was it ? Have not seen it in many decades.
- What would happen if a HF transceiver 50 ohm is connected to a 'T' with one arm of the 'T' to a 50 Ohm dummy load and the other arm of the 'T' to a long as practical wire ?

1690938341227.png

-Images borrowed from the web-

Attachments

• 1690937701491.png
    1690937701491.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
Of course we don't know about the said unspecified antenna design, shown M0CVW LW-20 connection box incorporates a matching transformer. Power resistor doesn't seem to make sense. As short wave wire antennas have typically >50 ohm feed impedance, the questioned parallel resistor load would effectively consume most of the transmitter power respectively short the received signal.

I was told much later it had a 100 watt 50 ohm resistor inside
That is unlikely at 400W rated power in a plastic box, you would burn the box even at 100W power dissipation ...

Maybe it is one of these end fed half wave ("EFHW") antennas with (typical) 1:9 impedance transformation?

Also could be this "Terminated End Fed Vee Antenna", which cover all HF bands and use counterpoise to emulate the earth ground (which is good over the water).
In the article is specified that the terminated resistor is rated at Pout/3 watts (about 30W for a 100W transmitter).

Thanks, gentlemen.
Obtained extra clues for a deeper search and found it can be one of these two, considered mistery scams by some, but different among themselves :
Maxxcom----> https://www.eham.net/reviews/view-product?id=2842&page=2&per-page=10
Match-all----> https://www.eham.net/reviews/view-product?id=10515

They did fit the application needs at their moment by operating at both all marine and amateur HF bands in a satisfactory way. Do you think they can be a reasonable design ? Do you know more details ? There is very poor information published. Later, Icom brand launched a similar matcher to compete with their sales :
----> https://www.icomjapan.com/lineup/options/MN-100/

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back