Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why there is a difference in sign of current ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahulprem2013

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I simulated the below circuit in Pspice. But the green current marker is showing +1.4 mA (voltage drop across diode is 0.6 V)and the other color current marker is showing -1.4 mA . Why there is a sign difference in current in a single wire ? And more over the current shouldn't be negative value from a diode right ? Wheres the problem ?

diode.JPG

and
How to get a Ideal Diode in Pspice ?

Thank You
Rahul

The markers don't show wire current - they show the current in a device pin - hence the difference in the sign.

Keith

Rahul, rotate R2 by 180 deg and the sign will change.

Rahul, rotate R2 by 180 deg and the sign will change.

HI
I tried rotating the resistor by 180 deg, even after that the markers are showing same value
How to get ideal diode with zero voltage drop in pspice ?

I don't use Pspice but in my simulator, current probes show the current at the pin. If you put a current probe at the opposite end of the resistor the sign will change. Positive indicates current going into the pin, negative means the current is out of the pin.

Keith

- - - Updated - - -

From the Pspice manual:
I[ac](< device >) Current into a device

Keith

Hi

I simulated the below circuit in Pspice. But the green current marker is showing +1.4 mA (voltage drop across diode is 0.6 V)and the other color current marker is showing -1.4 mA . Why there is a sign difference in current in a single wire ? And more over the current shouldn't be negative value from a diode right ? Wheres the problem ?
the 'sign' of a current tells you in which direction it is flowing. there's no problem.
when you probe for a current, the probe 'assumes' a particular current direction. If the actual current is in the opposite direction it is marked as negative.

How to get a Ideal Diode in Pspice ?

why would you want such a device ? the whole idea of spice, and other good simulation packages is to model the real world. Not some fantansy world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back