Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why the LEDs in series can not generate more power???

Status
Not open for further replies.

begginner

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I just want some help with a problem...hope some of you experts can help me...!
I have made some experiences here with LEDs, trying to caugh some eletricity using the sunlight...my results when I exposed a LED to the sunlight showed that one only LED can generate 1.5 volts...I found it is incredible!!!
But when I try to put in serie 10 of them, it does not added the power...Why it happened?? I´ll be thankfull if somebody could help me...and sorry for my bed english...
Thank you all members!!

Using LED as photosensor is possible but there are better devices for that purpose ..
What an LED does when reverse polarized and exposed to light is it generates very low photo-current (as it is a current generator – not a voltage generator) ..
You want to connect some LEDs in series, think about them as current sources and connecting current sources in series is not a good idea ..
And BTW, voltage is irrelevant ..

IanP
:wink:

Attachments

• LED as photosensor1.png
    LED as photosensor1.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 103

Hi IanP!!
Thank you very much for your help. Just trying to understand your answer well...you said the leds do not generate voltage?
I'm just a begginner like my nick sais...but when I measure its voltage showed 1.5...it means not voltage but current? Sorry for my ignorance...I know it could be easy to buy some PV cells, but I would like to experience doing it by my self...do you have any advice in doing that...like some book or pdf teaching how can I do that?
Thanks!

Homemade sollar cells - link unknown .. .. 30pages pdf ..

:wink:

Attachments

• SolarCell.pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 98

Begginner, I'd be curious to know what results you get if you connect the LEDs in parallel. I've read somewhere that red LEDs make better photocells than other colors. What color (chemistry) are you using? How many LEDs would you need in full sunlight to drive 15 - 20 mA into another LED to light it up?

Hello KJ6EAD!
I have used different colors of LEDs in different shapes...but in parallel, like in series, I couln't take any ggod result... I mean, when I use one single LED, it gives me 1.5 volts in measure, but when I try to put more then one, it drop so down...I don´t understand why...so I just forgot about using the LEDS for solar cells...I'm now getting better results by making my PV cells from copper chlorine. It is an easy process an is very, very cheap! If you are interested about, I have a good pdf teaching how can you make your own cells at your home. I hope my answer can help you!

---------- Post added at 12:45 ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 ----------

Oh...and about numbers and collors, I found better the green color LEDS when measured one by one...like I said before, when I try to put it together, in series or parallel it doesn't work good...so I can´t say how many you´ll need, becouse I just get good results using them separated...

All right then...just look up in this thread, the answer that IANp gave, solar cell pdf...is the same I have. If you can´t take it from there, I´ll send it to your email address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back