Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why Sendust torroids used in output of 2.4kW SMPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupoftea

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Supposing you had a 24V, 100A isolated PSU. 3-phase input via 3 phase rectifier. (No neutral to rectifier). Post rectifier capacitance of 24uF (MAB MKP). Being switched by a fairly simple looking high frequency converter, with 4 primary side switching (1200V) IGBT’s (IXER35N120D1). Some kind of transformer of size approx. 12cmx7cmx6cm (can’t see it, its in plastic enclosure). The transformer is off the IGBT PCB, and is wired to it. The transformer’s isolated output goes a to bus bar pair on its way to the output capacitor bank (approx 20 x 35V 1200uF El caps) . As the bus bar pair makes it way to the output capacitor bank from the transformer, (quite a way, about 20cm) one of the bus bars has seven CS467090 sendust rings round it.

The other bus bar goes through a LEM LA306-S Current monitor.

CS467090 sendust rings
https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...-Transformers-CS467090-77442_62351494118.html

CS467090 sendust rings are Fe-Si-Al material. This surely does not have the high frequency properties necessary for use in this place? Wouldn’t you want NiZn rings? Why are the Sendust ones used?

I am guessing the switching frequency is low. -We think this because the primary side wiring off to the transformer from the IGBT PCB is just two “loose” wires, which form a much wider loop than they would if they were twisted pair. Also, the primary side IGBT and control PCB is all Thru hole. The PWM controller is a UC2845B. (I am guessing the output diodes of the transformer are inside the plastic enclosure which contains the transformer, i cant see them anywhere else)

The only feedback seen from isolated secondary to the primary is from a 7 way ribbon cable which runs about 40cm back to the primary side from the secondary...presumably the isolation of it is by two V0943B opto's which i can see on the primary side IGBT board.

Last edited:

what is shown in post #18 is a "precision" 2TF
Rather a flawed converter model. Does the original design really convert 330 to 12 or 24 V with a winding ratio of about 2.4:1?

Whatever this converter is, its either a Half Bridge or a 2 Tran Forward......the lack of an (as yet) identifiable half bridge driver (hi side then lo side etc etc) says its a 2 Tran Forward. The split coil output says Half bridge, but it could be a 2 Tran forward with 2 secondaries feeding into the same C(out) via separate diodes. The lack of (as yet) identifiable reset diodes tells against the 2 Tran Forward. The split rail caps at pri side tell of half bridge, but could just be feeding a 2TF.

The thing thats for definite, is that its using the transformer leakage inductance as the main "output" inductor. (since the only output inductor seen is 7 torroids round the output busbar). As such, i am not expecting the transformer turns ratio to be anything "usual".

Last edited:

if it has a CT sec - then it must be half bridge drive, if it has a simple sec and two diodes ( one shunting the sec ) then it is a fwd converter ... 2 switch in this case ....

Status
Not open for further replies.