Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why new Spartan 3 FPGA has less gates then the previous versions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

veiledcavalier

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,
i have a question about spartan3 FPGAs.

i looked at the table in the following link and noticed the progress of the spartan 3
every new platform comes with a number of gates less than the previous i don't why?
and is it good or what?

i know every one has features different than others an suitable for kind of applications.

link:
https://www.xilinx.com/products/silicon_solutions/fpgas/spartan_series/index.htm

thanks a lot

Re: beginner question

Spartan-3AN Spartan-3A Spartan-3E Spartan-3
1.4M <= 1.4M <= 1.6M <=5.0M

I think that's all right.

It's due to cost I think.

No point in spending money on a device with 1,000,000 gates for an LED light chaser ;)

More than Gates some special features has been incorporated in various versions.

hi,

i meant that " reducing the number of gates in every new edition " is it advantage
or disadvantage ?????????

because from the link i mentioned before i can decide to buy Spartan 3 better than buying Spartan 3A or 3E !!!!

at end i need some explanation.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back