Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why is latch undesirable the most

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydip

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Why is latch so much undesirable ?? One reason which I keep on listening is, Timing analysis is difficult for latch. But anybody knows why is Timing Analysis difficult for latch? what are the pros and cons of flop vs Latch based designs ?? Are there any more serious reason behind not using latch other than tool's inability to perform timing analysis ??

Thanks

latch is level sensitive , register is edge sensitive, so STA is difficult for latch!

one reason i know is that since latch is level sensitive, the output could come at any point of the particular level. Hence it could lead to the formation of glitches.

Hi! Any commercial STA tool will handle latch-based design properly. I'm sure that "timing analysis" which gets harder actually refers to RTL fixes. If one wants to fix a latch based design timing by better balancing the logic among the pipe stages he might have to do a more complex analysis than required for a flop based design.

@Yury Terentiev
Did not quite really get you .. any better explanation ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back