Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why is "****" censured?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpanhalt

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The title will show as four asterisks. The word is "heck" with an "a" instead of an "e." The gerund form of the verb is allowed. Why is not the verb?

John

I guess 'h.ack' is a taboo word along with some abusive words- on this forum. Ofcourse the gerund form of the verb is mostly an illegal thing to do. (I said MOSTLY...). So to avoid discussion of those things on the forum- it must be censored.

Gosh, I don't think I have ever hacked something illegally. Maybe I voided the warranty, but it is a cheap and easy way to get some pretty sophisticated stuff.

English is a rich language. We regularly make verbs of nouns (e.g., Bork). Even the words, "stuff" and "junk" can be used in a profane sense. The other day, I tried to post something to the effect that the person would have to h.ack something by doing such and so. It was not a suggestion for any illegal action. When it kept showing up as asterisks, I was shocked.

What I am suggesting is that the word has come into such common usage, that its other meanings have fallen to the wayside in electronics and can be ignored here.

John

Well I dont even know the main reason. I just suggested a hypothesis based on an assumption. I might be wrong. I understand what you are saying. But I dont know why is it like that...

Should be fixed, but I need rebuild at night. Sorry for problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.