Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why in SAR systems array antenna are used and reflectors not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catallo

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
SAR question

Why in SAR systems array antenna are used and reflectors are not?

Re: SAR question

I am assuming you are asking about synthetic aperture RADAR antennas. In general they are one directional. Otherwise they would give ambiguous results by adding the images from both sides. On aircraft they are on the sides of the fuselage and only image to one side.

I think -
because slot array antenna is electronically steered and thinner.

Dear catallo,

while it is true that phased array are often employed for SAR applications, expecially for they steering capability in spotlight-mode, it is not true that reflector cannot be used in SAR.
An example of SAR reflector is embarked on the Cassini spacecraft that btw is arriving to Saturn in these days.

Bye

satellite, do you have any material on reflector antennas for SAR

Satellite, i would be interesten in the Cassini space mission,
do you have anything?

SAR question

Another SAR with a reflector antenna was the Magellan mission to Venus (1990). The same reflector was used for the SAR and for communications with earth.

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back