Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why in 8085 micro the clock generator should be double the internal clock frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kumar_eee

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In 8085, The Clock generator sholud be double with the internal clock frequeny, Why?...

Microprocessor Clock

The last time I was dealing with the 8085 has been about 20 years ago but in general, many processor architectures use multiple clock cycles to execute one instruction. It is easier to generate an internal symmetrical signal for once, some instructions are internally divided into smaller chunks that can be executed in one cycle and so on. Even today most architectures that claim sungle cycle execution need multiple cycles, now it is done in parallel and called a pipeline, the 8085 does everything in sequential form.
Hope I got your question right, otherwise my answer is void too ;-)

Bob

kumar_eee

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Microprocessor Clock

Normally, many processor architectures use this method to double the input clock.
For this design, PCB may supply the low clock, and core can run with high clock.

welcome to discuss this point.

kumar_eee

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Microprocessor Clock

you can even consider a VLIW processor architecture in which a single clock cycle is enuff to execute a multi-op which has several instructions clubbed together. well as for the clock generated it has to be double the internal clock frequency for the fact that lots of spatial variations could be encountered.. so as to avoid that external frequency is nearly double the internal frequency.!! as you guys know the heart of any micro-processor is the clock generator..crystal osciallator..so its made sure that the external clock frequency generated is steady and since we use crystal (other reason why Crystal osciallot is prefered to LC circuits) .. he Q factor is high and frquency doesnt fade with time..

all the more reason why we have double the external frequency compared to the internal frequency..

let me find some other conclusive answer to the above query.. gimem sometime.

with regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.