Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why holdtime is not considerd for Tclkmax calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kil

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi ALL,

i just wanted to know why hold time is not considered when we are calculating the Max Frequncy of the sequential design.

we only consider the Setup time while doing the Max freq.... Tclk> tsetup + tComb Logic + tclk-q delay- tskew.

while calculating the Thold<= Tclk-q + tComblogic + Tskew

Please let me know if i am wrong

regards
KIL

From a mathematical point of view it is clear that the equation for hold time is independent of the clock cycle. So a hold violation cannot be fixed by making the clock slower or faster. From an understanding perspective this is because hold problems are caused by the reg-to-reg logic being too fast. It refers to a timing delay calculated between a clock edge arriving at the launching flip-flop and the *same edge* (!!) arriving at the capturing flip-flop.

The setup equation does include the clock period. Setup is the opposite problem where the datapath logic is too slow. You can solve a setup violation by slowing down the clock. The crucial difference is that the setup equation refers to 2 *different edges* of the clock - the capturing edge is one period later that the launching edge. So clock period is germain to setup.

And that is why setup,and not hold, determines fmax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back