Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why HFSS10 works so slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elite631

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using HFSS 10 to simulate a simple antenna. It takes hours to simulate it.
It took a lot time to 'Making initial mesh on local machine'.

Any suggestions?

Why HFSS is so slow?

Well I dont think HFSS is slow.
it is very powerful software. And it require good RAM & processor.
What is your machine configuration?
Turn off your antivirus program & then run simulation.
What settings you have done during your simulations? like No of passes, what is frequency of operation etc.

Re: Why HFSS is so slow?

My computer processor AMD 1.6GHz and memory(RAM) 2.5GB vista OS.

20 passes from 4.2 to 6.2 GHz with step 0.1 GHz.
No other program.

Well, yeah, they are all slow. The ram is good, but what is the front side bus speed? Also, go with a dual, or better, a quad core processor clocking at 3 Ghz or so. Make sure your computer is not running all sorts of garbage programs in the background. And play around with the mesh sizes, etc. that is the best you can do. I am not that familiar with vista, but in Windows XP you could make a fixed sized virtual memory space on the hard disk--that would help too.

Why HFSS is so slow?

What about your radiation boundary size?the reasonable setting ,can run rapidly

Why HFSS is so slow?

Make no of passes 3.
Also in simulation settings,
Make step size large.
4.2 to 6.2 GHz with step 0.4 GHz.
try this
& tell us what is the result

I have not used HFSS in a while, but in other emag sim programs I recently used, the amount of VOLUME that I was trying to analyze seemed to have a very non-linear effect on computation time. I was analyzing some microstrip filters in an enclosure, and making the width of the enclosure 2x bigger made the analysis go 5X longer sometimes.

Also, slight changes in the artwork structure made huge differences. Like if the all the lines shared a corner where they touched, things were ok. If one line was offset from another that is touched by 0.001 inches, the computation time grew a lot--it must have automatically switched from a big grid size to a very small grid size to analyze the very small discontinuity.

So I tended to keep the enclosures small, and keep the structure as simple as possible (right angles, edge lining up with edge, etc), and the computation time stayed reasonable.

Hi Biff44,
If you are using windows xp,
Stop all other process(which you are not using during simulation) running in background
Try to make memory free.
and try.
It works fine.
I have used HFSS on machine with 128 MB RAM & too many programs installed.
:D
It works!!!

thanks for you guys' kind response.
I attached a simple design example. It also runs very slow.
Could you help me fix it?

Why HFSS is so slow?

you can choose "fast" for Sweep Tpye.
maybe hfss run rapidly

amu

Why HFSS is so slow?

Thanks.
It takes a long time on Setup1: Making initial mesh on local machine- Running"Inserting points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back