Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why FSK is more popular than ASK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liletian

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
advantages of fsk

Hi Guys
Why FSK is actually more popular than ASK? What's the advantages of FSK over ASK?
Thanks

advantages of fsk over ask

FSK is 3 dB better for a given peak transmitter power. It is easier to decode.

fsk advantages

I did not get you, can you explain more?
Thanks

advantage of fsk

FSK is more popular than ASK because of following
1) good noise performance than ASK
2) Can get good sensitivity than ASK

3dB better than transmitted power means
FSK has 3dB more sensitivity than ASK.
Am I right flatulent?

advantages and disadvantages of fsk

If is properly implemented ASK could have better sensitivity than FSK. Also co-channel performance of ASK receiver is superior to the FSK receiver.

why fsk

what about long distance communication?
say 500 meter.
will ASK show good sensitivity than FSK?
I dont think so.

advantages of fsk modulation

Receiver sensitivity doesn’t have anything with distance.

advantages of frequency shift keying over ask

I mean to say is. suppose your transmitting power is same & suppose we increase distance of transmitter from receiver will effect performance of circuit?
like say transmitting power is 0dBm & we are getting good response at distance of 100 meter. but suppose we make that distance 500 or 1000 meter will you recommend ASK signal transmission? or you wil go for FSK in this case.

this is my doubt.

advantages using fsk over ask

The question is not well put, in my opinion;
what I would say is: in a TX-RX link budget suppose you have TX power at 0 dBm and RX sensitivity at -100 dBm. This will cover a certain distance in LOS (line of sight) at a certain RF freq that does not depend on modulation.
FSK has advantages respect to ASK because it is less difficult to implement (or it may need less current consumption). But this is only a general statement, it depends on the cost of the solution, the numbers of channels the kind of application and so on.
Historically FSK (with its derivatives, GFSK, MSK..) comes after ASK and now is widely used for short range communications or low data rate systems, ASK is still proposed in RFIC moslty for legacy reasons.
I hope it can help.
Mazz

advantages of frequency shift keying

o, right

ask fsk advantage

liletian said:
Hi Guys
Why FSK is actually more popular than ASK? What's the advantages of FSK over ASK?
Thanks

In addition to the other comments, in FSK (or any phase modulation) the information is in phase not amplitude, so you can have PA that operates in its saturation point (high efficiency) and have longer battery life. In ASK, PA has to be linear with a good Peak to Average ratio. That usually means class A or class AB amplifiers that their efficiency less.

Hope this helped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back