Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can metamaterial lens increase antenna gain more than the possible antenna gain as per the antenna size and efficiency?

lkminz

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi There,
in order to increase antenna gain, meta-material lens is getting popular these days.
I wonder, if we consider size and possible gain of the antenna (limited to size -see the formula in attachment)
- then for a fix size is it possible to increase antenna gain using meta-material lens?
when we apply meta-material lens the overall size of the antenna increase. will it be possible to develop antenna (without meta lens) of bigger size to get similar gain as with using antenna with meta lens?

kindly scholars having experience with meta-material antenna help to get some insight into the size vs gain of antenna using meta-material.

Thanks

Attachments

• Antenna-Efficiency.jpg
    Antenna-Efficiency.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 43
Hi Ikminz,

Yes, many so-called meta-lenses are simply large radiators, which are fed by the "normal" antenna. If you look at the system with the "lens" and without it, yes, the gain has been improved.

I've seen no conclusive evidence suggesting that gain obtained by using a so-called meta-lens is more than can be obtained by a well-designed "normal" antenna of the same dimensions. You are right to be suspicious; however, I would suggest looking into superdirectivity -- dispersive materials may be better at supporting this phenomenon than the non-dispersive ones in "normal" antennas.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back