Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why electrons in an atom undergo spinning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinamuline

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anyone tell me why electrons in an atom undergo spinning? What is the reason behind? What happens if electrons do not spin?

Please help.

electron spin

The electrons dont actually, just the same as they are not really small round balls, spin is just a convenient way of thinking of a property of an electron which can have two states. the spin states are referred to as up or down.

Re: electron spin

Electron donot actually spin (like earth). It just refers to an additional degree of freedom. It is just an additional magnetic moment an electron possess.

Your question is a bit like asking why electrons exhibit a gravitational field. Spin is just a fundamental property that electrons (and some nuclei) have.

Further to the comment from the previous posters, electrons don't actually spin in the sense that they're little round balls twisting on an axis. However, they show all the behavior you would expect from little spinning balls - they do have angular momentum (this is the principle behind electron spin resonance). However, because we're now in a quantum world, both spin and angular momentum are quantized, meaning that they can only have certain discrete values.

Dear friends

i think u r mistaken

cause electrons really spin around the nucleus think of it from the point of the quantum mechanics the nucleus is a huge heavy body with a +ve charge and each proton in it is about
(4)
X10 times the mass of the electon which is the -ve body

think how much would be the attraction power of the nucleus to the electron we have tow powers hear for the attraction
'
'
'attraction due to the charge
= (charge1 x charge2)/(distance between them) squared

'attraction due to there masses

= ( mass1 x mass2) / (distance between them) squared

electron mass = 9.10938188 × 10-31 kilograms

proton mass = 1.67262158 × 10-27 kilograms

elementary charge = 1.60217646 × 10-19 coulombs

then it should rotate to generate a centrifugal repulsion force that is equal to the attraction force for the stability of the atom

Just to add more complexity and a little fun:
I understand that "1/2" Spin is also a condition!
1/2 Spin is the description of an element that has only
half the Atomic Mass as it should!

I asked my physics Prof. why? And he said that it is because (They Believe)
that during one revolution the element behaves normal, but on the next revolution
it is non-existent. He said it might be in another dimension.

Cheers

in Quantum approach
atom has discerete energy levels
and each energy level
can't hold more than one electron becuase
opposite spins leads to structue destruction

Element_115 said:
Just to add more complexity and a little fun:
I understand that "1/2" Spin is also a condition!
1/2 Spin is the description of an element that has only
half the Atomic Mass as it should!

I asked my physics Prof. why? And he said that it is because (They Believe)
that during one revolution the element behaves normal, but on the next revolution
it is non-existent. He said it might be in another dimension.

Cheers

hi

atomic mass is term of the count of both protons and neutrons together in the same atom and if it is increased or reduced due to the removal of some neutrons then we got an isotope of the same element which is exactly the same chemically but only differs in quanta on the other hand if we change the mass due to the increase or decrease of the count of the protons then you changed the element it self to another element with completely different chemical reactions and a new physical parameters.

Added after 9 minutes:

she7ataz said:
in Quantum approach
atom has discerete energy levels
and each energy level
can't hold more than one electron becuase
opposite spins leads to structue destruction

hi

who said we can change the direction of electron spin?

and who said that anybody could say what is the direction of spin is that direction or the reverse?

cause what you consider it going clock wise if you look from the other pole side would be anti clock wise!!!!
it should be mentioned with respect to a relatively no motion point and at a specific relative time

electron spin

Hi
Electrons do have spin.
The number half or minus half is just an arbitrary association.
We simply write these numbers to mean that two electrons spin in relatively opposite directions.
This is based on the theory of universal symmetry.
I'd like to know about anti particles. Because that is one extreme of the theory of symmetry.
Can any one help?

harsha_jois said:
Hi
Electrons do have spin.
The number half or minus half is just an arbitrary association.
We simply write these numbers to mean that two electrons spin in relatively opposite directions.
This is based on the theory of universal symmetry.
I'd like to know about anti particles. Because that is one extreme of the theory of symmetry.
Can any one help?

hi harsha_jois

try this link pls 1'st

https://www.weburbia.com/pg/symmetry.htm

Physics as a subject is dynamic and Physicist mode their theories on the available theories untill someone makes a breakthrough. For now we are saying spin doesn't mean rotation, then what is it ? Dirac's explanation is even questionable because there is no direct prove of his equations.

But i think electrons rotate and their rotation gives rise to the magnetic moments. Just that we dont have the equation to explain them.

So to clarify in easy words an electron has both intrinsic electric and magnetic field which are continuim spherical in nature. The electromagnetic field angular momentum of an electron is its spin :)

Electron spin is intrinsic property, term +1/2, -1/2 is the convention and spin momnetum identity, if electron stops spinning it colapses in to the ncleus and no matter exists, electron spin is the natural phenomena

--sree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back