Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why does latches save power

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick_yang

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm read that a latch based design can save power because latches are level sensitive and don't need a clk, I don't think this is right because in a two phase latch design latches still need clk to trigger even though it's level sensitive. could someone explain it for me?

Every time a signal (clk) changes state, current is required to charge parasitic capacitances (I=C*dv/dt). If there's no change in signal level, no current is drawn. This is called dynamic current, as opposed to static, or idle, current. A clock is continuous, a latch control is not.

Every FF is two latches. If you only need a latch, don't
pay for two.

FF : Two latches...so the flop has bigger area which means more clock parasitics so on a cell level you have bigger power. So the choice between latches and FF's is based on the timing methodology at the chip level. So the choice of FF vs latch depends on the methodology for timing closure.
The latch timing analysis is much more complex compared to FFs. It requires a lot of customization while FF's are very tool friendly. THIS IS A BIG DEAL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back