Not open for further replies.

knack

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

As i understand, a fractional-N PLL gives higher resolution for output freq. steps,

Then, why do we still need to use integer N PLLs anymore??

Can't the first replace the latter?? Why not?

Cheers,

-- Knack

Fractional PLL does not provide enough filter frequency headroom between the nyquist frequency and the PLL loop bandwidth. Typical you try with a limited order lowpass filter to reduce the sigma-delta high frequency noise. This is increasing with frequency depening on sigma-delta order. But at the same time the lowpass impact the phase margin. So pratical limitation is between 1/50 and 1/20 of the reference frequency. If you need higher loop bandwidths integer does not suffer from sigma-delta shaping noise.

knack

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

I am interested to learn more about Sigma-Delta modulator (if it's separated from PLL) or Fractional-N PLL (if they're cross-coupled)... where do you advice me to get what i want??

Although you're my mentor here, but excuse me, I don't want book names because this will take alot of time, app. notes, papers, and tutorials are what i seek..

Thnx again,
--Knack

The paper "Delta-Sigma Modulation in Fractional-N Frequency Synthesis" Tom A.D.Riley IEEE JSSC vol 28 No.5 May 1993 may help you.

A lecture of Mit at https://ocw.mit.edu Course:6.976
"Sigma-Delta Fractional-N Frequency Synthesis" Scoot Meninger Massachusetts Institute of Technology June 7, 2004" is a good tutorial.

hope above may help you.

Ryan

knack

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…