why do we need rail-to-rail input stages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yonutz88

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
does anyone know some books in which is explained the need for rail-to-rail inputs and outputs? thanks

I don't know of any books but having R-R I/O can be helpful for single supply operation. One example is for current measurement or control where one end of the sense resistor is tied to either ground or power. Having a R-R input stage makes the design a breeze.

In contrast to R-R inputs which are specified to work at the rail which is a black and white specification, a R-R output I would say is more of a marketing term. If any load what so ever is applied to the output it can not go rail to rail. So how close it gets to the rail with a specified load is the real specification and those specs vary all over the place.

Ray

Binary operation works best when you have extremes between a hi and low signal.

So rail-to-rail operation is preferable in that case. Not easy to achieve since output components don't have zero ON-resistance.

Or with audio amplifiers, you want linear operation, and across the maximum range you can get.

This is assisted by output components with a minimum of 'ON' resistance. In other words, which more closely approach rail-to-rail operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…