Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why do we need rail-to-rail input stages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yonutz88

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
does anyone know some books in which is explained the need for rail-to-rail inputs and outputs? thanks

I don't know of any books but having R-R I/O can be helpful for single supply operation. One example is for current measurement or control where one end of the sense resistor is tied to either ground or power. Having a R-R input stage makes the design a breeze.

In contrast to R-R inputs which are specified to work at the rail which is a black and white specification, a R-R output I would say is more of a marketing term. If any load what so ever is applied to the output it can not go rail to rail. So how close it gets to the rail with a specified load is the real specification and those specs vary all over the place.

Ray

Binary operation works best when you have extremes between a hi and low signal.

So rail-to-rail operation is preferable in that case. Not easy to achieve since output components don't have zero ON-resistance.

Or with audio amplifiers, you want linear operation, and across the maximum range you can get.

This is assisted by output components with a minimum of 'ON' resistance. In other words, which more closely approach rail-to-rail operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back