Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why do perpetual motion machines fail every time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenAce92

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I feel like I know the answer, but I can't explain it. Frictional losses, gravity, etc... but what about "magnets" and "levitation" see... in my head I picture, the moment you try to do something with one of these "self-propelled spinning magnets" it will stop spinning because it can't put out that much power. Limited by the number of magnets, rotational-weight, magnetic force, drag, etc... so imagine one of these (in the video) operating in a vacuum, in space, and using levitation bearings, why won't it work? I don't believe it will work, I just want a credible person to say why it won't work, I am not credible.

Some of those Youtube videos are very clever but they hide the real source of power from the camera. I particularly like the pertpetual motion machine that works better when the mains adapter voltage is increased to 4.5V!

There is a nice 3KW generator on there too, note how the 'motor' is coupled to the generator through a thin wire spring which neither winds tighter or unwinds when the load is applied. I think it would work just as well if the motor and generator were uncoupled.

The basic principle is "you can't get out more than you put in", energy can be converted from one form to another but not made to appear out of nowhere. There are some excellent ways to reduce friction so the energy to start the machine is used up over a long period but if you apply a load to them they prove they are incapable of producing 'new' energy.

Brian.

See... that's what I'm saying too, although studying physics it's like you are "preprogrammed" to default to that. But I mean, I am not concerned about it myself, I was trying to tell another person but can't "scientifically say why"

0 = 0 ? haha I don't know.

Anyway thanks

There is another video on YouTube i saw that showed how this particular trick worked. You are shown a 360 deg view and you do not see anything in the wheel drum. The camera is stopped and in the side of the drum you do not see a small RC servo is installed. The operator has the remote in his hand and once per revolution he activates it to give it a kick.

Yeah the first thing you see in the video is a falling cam(white) that starts the rotation, if it was hanging below(180 deg opposite) then I wonder if it would even spin at all. Haha whatever I'm not concerned about it.

Ain't nothing free, is why. There is no lossless motion
outside pure vacuum. Let alone if you want to take
some for yourself.

Perpetual motion suggests getting energy from nothing, which is not possible.

Free energy is all around us and can very easily be tapped.
Wind power, tidal power, solar power, geothermal power can all make a wheel go round and round pretty much forever.

Free energy that is already there is very different to making energy from nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back