Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why are we using power supplies of 230V and 50HZ standard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

baranikumarhtsl

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Power supplies

Why are we using power supplies of 230 v and 50HZ standard. Whats the problem in having power supplies at some other frequency say 90HZ....Why 50 Hz is fixed... Is there any effect if we use a power supply of different frequency(say to an device that requires power supply of different frequency(say70) to operate

Re: Power supplies

Power supply may be AC or DC.
What do you mean by source that need other frequency like 70 Hz.

If you want to use the frequency of the AC line to make some action then as I know you should first convert it first to DC then you can chop it again to get AC signal with your target frequency. I saw this in some power inverters used to drive motors

baranikumarhtsl,
I assume you are referring to the standards for mains. These standards were established years ago.
The voltage standard is a compromise among the following requirements:
. Desire to keep wire size small (Higher voltage desired)
. Desire to keep transmission I^2R losses small (Higher voltage desired)
. Non-stringent insulation requirements (Lower voltage desired)
. Safety (Lower voltage desired)
The frequency standard is a compromise between
. Transmssion line losses (lower frequency desired)
. Transformer size (higher frequency desired)
It is desirable to keep the frequency within tightly controlled limits to allow proper operation of timing devises (such as clocks) that use synchronous motors.
Regards,
Kral

s there any effect if we use a power supply of different frequency(say to an device that requires power supply of different frequency(say70) to operate

Of course... there will be problems.
Say, my mains frequency is 50Hz. I am designing a power supply which takes in 230V 70 Hz. The only AC components in my power supply are the transformer and the rectifier circuits along with the filter circuit. Since all these components are designed for 70 Hz, more losses will occur. The total responce will also change. The efficiency of the unit will fall.

there are two frequencies of power systems in world i.e. 50hz and 60hz.
If you use 50hz supply on 90 or 70, there'll be heating, noise, small life and lesser efficiency.
You can calculte using electrical formulas,
So, only use predefined frequency of a device

Power supplies

The main reason for higher voltage is to keep the power=VI product constant so that we have lower current I. The prime reason for this is safety of the consumers.
Similarly the prime reason of lower frequency is to reduce transmission losses.And since AC mains is required in every component, the lower frequency does not interfere with the other equipment/appliances

baranikumarhtsl said:
Why are we using power supplies of 230 v and 50HZ standard. Whats the problem in having power supplies at some other frequency say 90HZ....Why 50 Hz is fixed... Is there any effect if we use a power supply of different frequency(say to an device that requires power supply of different frequency(say70) to operate
regarding the power suply, we can interprit the problem in another way.
In most power suplies there is an ac transformer inside that reduces the mains to a lower as voltage. a transformer contains 2 coiles, the first that work as a magnetic generator that changes with time and the other is the receiver that transforms the changing flux into voltage, not it can be seen as a generator, a generator contains a magnet rotating in a certian speed and a coil outide, if you rotate the generator of heigher speed, the induced voltage will be more heigher. the increase in the speed of the generator resembles the increase of the frequency of the input of the transformet, if you see that my words are mis leading, just remember that the more rapid change in the magnetix field will lead to heigher induced voltage:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back