Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why and how to use the transfer function?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: why transfer function?

Hi Dear zhi_yi!

It helps you decide the output of the system for every inputs. It helps you decide if the system is stable or not. It helps you finds out the resonance frequencies of the system. It helps you optimize the system. It helps you... .

Thanks!

jasmin_123 said:
v_c said:
By the way, the terms "input" and "output" can be confusing. Take for example the impedance of a network at a port. Impedance is the ratio of voltage/current. So current is the "input" and voltage is the "output". But these are measured at the same port -- so you have to be a little more careful. I tend to use excitation (instead of input) and response (instead of output), with the transfer function given by response/excitation.

You should not be too careful: impedance also is a transfer function!

See for example: "On impedance evaluation in feedback circuits," by Francesco Corsi, Cristoforo Marzocca, and Gianvito Matarrese.

You are misinterpreting what I say ... I am saying that impedance IS a transfer function! I am just saying that you should not use output/input to describe the transfer function because it is misleading when applied to impedance since both signals are at the same port. Notice I said that impedance is a "ratio" which all transfer functions are.

Best regards,
Vahe

why transfer function?

in instrumentation side the word transfer function is used, in mechanical the word efficiency is used and in electronics side the word gain is used. all above gives just the ratio of output to input with some basic process. the main application of above these are just to determine system behiaviour with all possible inputs
\

By the basic mean We r giving some input to the system and getting some output but there is some loss inside the system or what ever may be that means we are cheking how much of input is being transferred to the output of the system??? thats why the name TRANSFER FUNCTION. hope it ll help u .

why transfer function?

In control engineering and control theory the transfer function is derived using the Laplace transform.

The transfer function was the primary tool used in classical control engineering. However, it has proven to be unwieldy for the analysis of multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) systems, and has been largely supplanted by state space representations for such systems. In spite of this, a transfer matrix can be always obtained for any linear system, in order to analyze its dynamics and other properties: each element of a transfer matrix is a transfer function relating a particular input variable to an output variable.

v_c said:
You are misinterpreting what I say ... I am saying that impedance IS a transfer function! I am just saying that you should not use output/input to describe the transfer function because it is misleading when applied to impedance since both signals are at the same port. Notice I said that impedance is a "ratio" which all transfer functions are.

Best regards,
Vahe

OK.

IT tells about how the input is changed to putput

why transfer function?

transfer function is the laplace transform of the impulse response. the impulse response of the system is an important issue in analysis phase.

to know the behavious of a system under zero initial conditions

the "function" describe the relationship between inputs and output.

best regards

zhi_yi said:
in control engineering, we learn about transfer function, what is the "function" of the transfer function?

thanks..

the transfer function represents the system in a compact form. all the properties of the system can be understood if one analyse the transsfer function well, for example the stability of the system can be understood from it's pole locations, the time domain behavior can be obtained from the inverse laplcae transform and so on. the function maps the input to the output and hence the name transfer function is given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back