Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

who can tell me what's balun ? thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivsim

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
balun, if it's a transfer ?
thanks .

BalUn = Balnced / Unbalanced

A balun is a device that joins a balanced line (one that has two conductors, with equal currents in opposite directions, such as a twisted pair cable) to an unbalanced line (one that has just one conductor and a ground, such as a coaxial cable). A balun is a type of transformer: it's used to convert an unbalanced signal to a balanced one or vice versa. Baluns isolate a transmission line and provide a balanced output. A typical use for a balun is in a television antenna.

In a balun, one pair of terminals is balanced, that is, the currents are equal in magnitude and opposite in phase. The other pair of terminals is unbalanced; one side is connected to electrical ground and the other carries the signal.

https://www.qsl.net/iz7ath/web/02_brew/11_balun/pag01_eng.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balun

Google is your friend

FoxyRick.

thanks.
another question is if balun can be integrated in a IC ?

thanks.

A balun is a device designed to convert between balanced and unbalanced electrical signals, such as between coaxial cable and ladder line. Baluns can be considered as simple forms of transmission line transformers.

Balun is used now in integrated circuits to convert a single signal to differential signal in the input of chip (like for LNAs) it is implemented az two coupled transformers

Re: Question

kender said:
There are mass produced baluns for hundreds of MHz. I'm looking for a balun for 100kHz. Will a balun rated for higher frequency work at a much lower frequency (assuming the same current)?
No it will not work, especiallz on such a big diferrence between frequencies...

Re: Question

sinip said:
kender said:
There are mass produced baluns for hundreds of MHz. I'm looking for a balun for 100kHz. Will a balun rated for higher frequency work at a much lower frequency (assuming the same current)?
No it will not work, especiallz on such a big diferrence between frequencies...
How can I calculate the balun parameters? I have a receiving antenna with biult-in LNA that outputs a differential 100kHz signal. I want to convert it to single-ended. Right now it's done with an instrumentation amp (the low frequency allows it), but I think that balun is a "cleaner" solution. I have never designed magnetics before. Could anyone help me design a balun or point me to the article that describes how to design one?

Thanks!
Kender

balun can be used to generate differential signals

For 100 KHz a trasnformer will do the job

Probably the kind used for 220 VAC is too much for your aplication.
The reason is, we are talking about a power transformer, it is designed
to handle a lot of power and consequently it is bulky(big). But in essence
a balun is just a device which transform +V (referenced to ground) into
+V/2 and -V/2 referenced to a common point ( the center tap in the case
of transformer). It is just like transforming from single ended to
diferential (just another name for the same). It is just like differential
op-amp, the same concept.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor