Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which to choose for RC low pass filter: NMOScap or MIMcap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patriot

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi, i need a capacitor more than 4pF to construct a RC low pass filter, i have an alternative between NMOScap and MIMcap. Would any guys give me some advices?
which one is better?

moscap versus mim quality factor

MOScaps have higher density, i.e they can achieve much higher capacitance for same area than MIM caps. However, they're non-linear and have much lower Q factor. For a LPF, I don't think that this would affect you much (but better check the non-linearity). Also, the MOScaps require biasing to achieve the proper capacitance, so you must ensure that you apply proper bias to them.

mimcap versus moscap

ieropsaltic said:
MOScaps have higher density, i.e they can achieve much higher capacitance for same area than MIM caps. However, they're non-linear and have much lower Q factor. For a LPF, I don't think that this would affect you much (but better check the non-linearity). Also, the MOScaps require biasing to achieve the proper capacitance, so you must ensure that you apply proper bias to them.

yes,the MOScap density is 3.6 times larger than MIMcap, so i choose MOScap. But in different corners,the bias of the MOScap varies. should i only verify the circuit in all corners ?
BTW:Is the NMOScap fabricated on p-substrate or DNwell?

mimcaps

In a low pass filter where the product of capacitance and resistamce determines the total time constant associated with the circuit. So a variation will effect the rise and fall time. Hence it is better to use MIMcap than MOScap

Status
Not open for further replies.