Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which P&r tool will get better result?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wadaye

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
zbwqiang

After Logic Synthesis, we can use Jupiter+Astro, or Encounter to do

physical work, which will get better QoR? Pls be detail!

wang1

I can give you a little suggestion. Encounter has a physical synthesis function as PKS which is similar to Physical Compiler, which will improve the quality of P&R.

Yes, but the better result is because physical synthesis. Not after logic

synthesis. And the physical synthesis tool in Encounter Plateform is

BuildGuits_PKS.

wang1

Hi all

Please note that P&R tools are always from the respective FPGA manufacturer and there is no choice for the other third party P&R tools. Only the synthesis tools are available from third parties like Synopsys, Synplicity, etc.,.......

Magma is better choose for P&R

How about run a demo case?
It should make sense.

ramesh said:
Hi all

Please note that P&R tools are always from the respective FPGA manufacturer and there is no choice for the other third party P&R tools. Only the synthesis tools are available from third parties like Synopsys, Synplicity, etc.,.......

We talk about ASIC. It's different with FPGA. We can choose P&R tools,

and we have to.

wang1

i heard that m@gma is better.
but for asic, the problem is which tool has more library support by asic vendor.
maybe c@dence still ......

I think magma balstfusion is better. The librarys it uses come from the synopsys uses.

z81203 said:
i heard that m@gma is better.
but for asic, the problem is which tool has more library support by asic vendor.
maybe c@dence still ......

Magma provides some tools to convert other format library to the

formats it needed.

wang1

Magma will help his cust to convert library. And we can ask library vendors to convert it.

hi,all

I think Magma doesn't supply the interfaces of other tools during the P&R, it is not better than other tools!

Magma is now becoming more and more popular, the fact can tell you truth.

Hi Wang,
I don't know whether you are talking about a block level implementation or full chip but I can for sure tell you Cadence is far better in terms of routing. Placement can not be totally automated as we are dealing with the complexity of the chips. For QoR purpose also you can trust Cadence (SOC Encounter).

PC+Astro > BlastFusion > SoCEncounter in terms of overall QoR, but Nanoroute is the best router in the world!

IC Compiler did better job than PC+Astro in our test cases.
Talus is under evaluation, no data.

If you are looking for performance, budget is not your concern, go for Synopsys, stable software, better documentation, promising QoR.
If you are looking for low cost, go for magma, won't be best result, but close to synopsys solution, give you best trade-off between your budget and performance, but you will pay for the following cons sooner or later:
buggy, less documentation, worst gui in the world.
If historically you stay with Cadence, continue your journey with SoCEncounter, they also improve a lot, especially afterh they integrated the PKS into their SoCE platform.
And you can also mix 3 vendors tool set to get the most from the tools if your company is really rich or really poor.

But keep in mind, the best QoR is coming from human being, not from the tool, tool just provide a platform, if you are power user, you do much much more... Best Design are always produced by people, not tool, not "push botton".

cdic

my dear cdic:

I agree your statement.

c.c.huang

Hi All,

"Magma" is better tool for "rtl to gdsII". Because using it, iterations between "logical synthesis" is and "P & R' is decrease.

I havn't used nanorouter,so I dont' t know the run time( routing).
for magma and astro. astro 's run timing is much shorter than magma,and the gui is much better than magma...

I feel Magma is a better p&r tool since it has got all the stages integrated and all phases come in together

Magma is a better tool, but we still need tools like PrimeTime, Calibre and Star RCXT to do a sign-off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back