Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which one is better: PIC or 8051 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
winbond msp430

The CPU of the 8051 is more flexible and more powerful than that of the PIC16 microcntroller. In my opinion, the PIC CPU is weak, its instructions are tedious. The only thing in favor for PIC16 is its peripherals. You can buy a PIC micro with much powerful peripherals that you rarely find in a part of the same price. However, PIC18 CPU is more powerful and is comparable to that of the 8051.

PIC Vs 8051

PIC's instruction set is typical for RISC microcontroller. C51 is a CISC, thus it has more instructions, which is not always a good thing. compare the set of PIC's instructions with MSP430 for example. PIC16 series can go up to 5MIPS on 20MHz clock (officially)

0x41 0x56 0x45!!

PIC Vs 8051

The 8051 is only popular in places you cannot buy a PIC. It's almost 30 years old. PIC or AVR run circles around the ancient 8051.
There are plenty of PICs to choose from. 8 bit through 32bit processors.
The 8051 runs much slower than most modern microcontrollers, has very few internal peripherals eg no A/D, I2C, SPI etc...
The PIC18F series as previously mentioned is an excellent 8bit PIC.

Re: PIC Vs 8051

I cheer 8051. Although it's quite old mcu but I the standard to learn. If we want to extend to RISC, it's easy to learn ARM the by having the basic of 8051. I've been working for 8051 for a few year. Visit my tutorias if you are interested.

Hi,

There are many vendors offering 8051. One such vendor is silicon laboratories .They provide 8051 with ADC,DAC & other pheripherals.

visit www.silabs.com

With Regards
S.Rajesh Kumar

Hi,
Most of the lowend PICs as its name suggets are nothing but simple Peripheral Interface Controllers. The basic 8051 family has a well defined CPU architecture, supports up to 64k of program memory, has an external buss which allows expansion of external I/O memory for up to 64k and a well defined set of intuitive CPU instructions found on larger computer systems.

The physical pin outs of PIC, especially Vcc and Ground have not been broughtout as in conventional ICs.
The instruction set is also weird a bit, for example the standard conventions of Source and Destinations involving two registers are reversed in pIC, see for example the MOV instruction. A PIC programmer will tend to misunderstand a=c statement as c getting the value of 'a' instead of the conventional meaning. It appears that the architecture of PIC is done by some robotic hands rather than humans.
These were some of the impressions I got when I first started learning about PIC. But those little controllers with a few pinouts are 'pic' of the designers when it comes to standalone fast control applications. You have only a few instructions to remember , rich in peripherals, can be easily programmed incircuit, rich in software tools and applications support, very little power requirement, and containing nonvolatile memory even in a small package.
Regards,
Laktronics

PIC Vs 8051

pic is better in many ways .... you can compare it by downloaing data sheets.

sci-3d said:
I cheer 8051. Although it's quite old mcu but I the standard to learn.

Really?

I have to say, that in several places the 8051 don't exist anymore.
When I learned uc, they simple said, exist a thing that call 8051, but is dead so we go only PIC.

I know a little of 8051, and a lot more of PIC.

The 8051 is not dead because I had to use 1 or 2 times, but not more than that.

For me the PIC18 is the king of 8bit uc, but for a lot of small projects the PIC10, PIC12 and PIC16 are more than enough, the PIC18 is good for prototyping and the others are better for final products if the difference in price justify.

8051 MCUs are not obsoleted and I think they will last longer than most PICs. This is because 8051 is multi-vendored. Also, the 8051 CPU has undergone several enhancements by several manufacturers. Regarding speed, ATMEL, SILabs, Winbond, and NXP have very fast parts with peroformance up to 100 MIPS! Can you name another 8-bit MCU with speed?

sci-3d said:
I cheer 8051. Although it's quite old mcu but I the standard to learn. If we want to extend to RISC, it's easy to learn ARM the by having the basic of 8051. I've been working for 8051 for a few year. Visit my tutorias if you are interested.

None of the projects on your projects page are for the ancient 8051. They're all AVR or PIC projects.

Rizwanishaq said:
Which one is better
PIC

both have different overview from the different region because of its availibility in that region.

BTW, in which you are interested and with which one you are feeling comfertable.
please let the people know that then they can assist you better..

H_D_R said:
Rizwanishaq said:
Which one is better
PIC

both have different overview from the different region because of its availibility in that region.

BTW, in which you are interested and with which one you are feeling comfertable.
please let the people know that then they can assist you better..

That's an accurate observation. In North America the 8051 is a old beast.

i will prefer 8051 than pic for the simple resion it is cheap.

But I think PIC is better because It provide more features like ADC and PWM in low cost as compare to ATMEL

I am working with PIC.

For starting with microcontrollers they are pretty good.
Because a lot of support like Data shit ,Example project ,Source code are available. Which help me most.

Pic's are easy to program & lot of compiler for them available like PICBASIC, PICC,
& also MPLAB is good one.

Sayem Ahmed said:
I am working with PIC.

For starting with microcontrollers they are pretty good.
Because a lot of support like Data shit ,Example project ,Source code are available. Which help me most.

Pic's are easy to program & lot of compiler for them available like PICBASIC, PICC,
& also MPLAB is good one.

mty friend Sayem Ahmedji,

these all thing are available on net for 8051 or other MCU also...
u know the major problem is availibility of type of MCU in your region.
this really makes difference..

so, best way is take research of the Electronic market/ shop in your area make sure which MCUs are available there and then only decide to work.
However people who wants to work they will get anything any how.
But at learning stage you must think about it...

Hope so you have got an idea what i mean to say...!!!:D

Now a day USB is Universal.

So I think working with usb is good practice.Though I have no development using usb.Because I am weak in PC software development and don't know how I can interface usb by using c or visual basic or perl.

I have already done some hobby project using usb. Some one can interface usb with any mcu easily by using FT2232 ic or other.

PIC 18f2550 is great . They have build in USB driver simple 2 pin usb I/O. Even no programmer needed for a PIC of such category with preprogrammed bootloader.
MICROCHIP has many such PIC.

In many project you need more RAM (say Moving display).Then 18F is your boy.

<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>

Here some Criteria that you can take into account when choosing a microcontroller
(family) are:
1. availability
2. price
2. ease of use (as a start consider only controllers with flash memory
that can be (re)programmed in-circuit)
3. quality and price of development tools
support from friends, neighbors, clubs, newsgroups, mailing lists
availability of application notes, reference designs, hobbyist web
pages
4. features of the chip (IO pins, UART, A/D, D/A, counters, speed, code
size, data size, etc.)
5. ease of migrating to smaller (cheaper) or larger (more capable)
chips

<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back