Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which microcontroller is faster than 8951?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinaiee

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
fast Micros

I want a fast microcontroller(than 8951).
plz hlp./

Re: fast Micros

I think it is not a problem to find a uC which can run faster than 8951 nowadays.

AVR can run faster (with the same crystall oscillator), since it has pipelining mechanism in it's arshitecture. but don't forget to set the fuse bits.

regards,

sinaiee

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

ok.but i want a uc that can work with high ferequence cristal.

and

what is fuse bits?

Do you want to try PIC series? Some PIC can last for at very high crystal frequency and lots of peripherals in single chip.

Fuse bit is the the a security feature that prevent outsiders read from the µC. Once the fuse bit set, although there is program load inside but outsider read the program memory will get all FFh. This is to prevent your program being reversed by others. After the fuse bit, before the new program loaded, you must erase the previous program, else the programmer detect error from the chip.

Added after 4 minutes:

Maybe you can try FPGA like Altera or Xillin, that is much more faster. But of-course you have to recode your program.

Hello,

ok.but i want a uc that can work with high ferequence cristal.

Hmm, this is a vague question. Do ou simply mean, a microcontroller than can execute instuctions faster than most, or.....do you mean a microcontroller that requires a very high clock frequency?

If you want a crystal oscillator of 100Mhz to run a microcontroller, you just have to divide the clock down, by a factor of 8 or something. The uC will obviously work to a 12.5MHz clock, but you'll have your high frequency crystal.

It seems that option is a bit silly, although I do not know what your application is. I can only assume that you wish to have a microcontroller that can run fast at many MIPS (million instructions per second). In which case I would recommend the AVR series, ATmega. These can run up to 20MhZ with no clock division, that is, it would give 20 MIPS as opposed to a PIC running on the same clock, which would give only 5MIPS.

Hope this clears things up for you,

Buriedcode.

fast Micros

sinaiee,

believe me, you DO NOT want ot have a high frequency crystal, you want to have low frequency and high performance. This can be achieved by multiplying the frequency internally with a PLL or in real high performance architectures by executing multiple instructions in parallel. However, coming from a 51 it seem daring to approach any of these architectures.
If you want ot stick with the 51 architecture, you can go with a dual cycle core e.g. LPC900 family from Philips, 6 times faster than the 8951 at the same frequency or even a single cycle core e.g. devices from Silicon Labs, running at up to 100 MHz, outperforming easily any AVR that is out there.
If you want to go to faster architectures, you could start with ARM7, e.g. LPC2103 from Philips running 70 MHz from internal Flash or you could go to the SAM9261 from Atmel running @ 190 MHz...
Devices and software get more complex with 32-bit architectures.
Going to a PIC is waste of time as the max. clock rate of a PIC is 48 MHz with a inctruction cycle time best case 12 MIPS. An AVR running at 16 MHz if faster, a Silabs 8051 running at 100 MHz is way faster and an ARM running at 70 MHz will be faster than the 100 MHz 8051 if you handle more than bytes and bits (e.g. integers or longs or beware floats).
Hope this helps, Bob

there are many available from various vendors.one of the good options is
silicon labs uc and the advantage is that they are 8051 compatible. but have got more pins and better options. as high as 100MHz freq. check out

www.silabs.com

also embedded controller from TERN and RABBIT are good options.

bobsanjose said:
Hope this helps, Bob

Bob, I'm not rude but please don't waste your energy.
Just click on link
and take a look at the time stamp of posts. Nevertheless the wide range of interested fields covered in so tight amount of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.