Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which linux has a smaller size than red hat 8 and can

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcg22

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Which linux has a smaller size than red hat 8 and is still good enough to support EDA tools, such as, C@dence !C 5, H$p!ce?

just dont install all those packages which you are never likely to use,

All linux distributions can run any of those packages. RPM is not exclusive for Redhat, it can be installed and compiled on any linux distribution. Besides, linux is just a kernel.. so what's so special about redhat? :)

I think the different is thier preconfigured libraries version, however, if you know what specific library your software want, you can alway set it up. I also try to config IC5 on debian and it work OK.

I think that if you have a software package for specific distro
(for instance RedHa*), use that distro, otherwise you may have troubles.
For instance pro/en/gine/e/r can't run on SU*SE Linux, it runs on RedHa*
only.

~flaxa

flaxa said:
I think that if you have a software package for specific distro
(for instance RedHa*), use that distro, otherwise you may have troubles.
For instance pro/en/gine/e/r can't run on SU*SE Linux, it runs on RedHa*
only.

~flaxa

I agree with you. Take a example, for !C 5.0, from the c@dence website, only limited OS are supported. Specially, for red hat, only version above 7.2 is supported. So i need somebody with related expierence give some advice.

No, It's not alway the truth. You didn't have to stick to that exact OS version. I've successfully used IC5.0 on RH8.0 as well as Debian 3.0 without any modification. In cadence document itself said it is designed for linux, even recommend but not limit to RH7.2. You can try to run all s/w in your favorite distro. If first time it can't be completed, try to check log files or error messages, you may miss some specific libralies.

Officially, Synopsys takes RH7.2 for latest release.

I think it's no need to take risk or waste time
if the EDA company has verified.

>I agree with you. Take a example, for !C 5.0, from the c@dence website, only limited OS are supported. Specially, for red hat, only version above 7.2 is supported. So i need somebody with related expierence give some advice.

How small the distro should be? You can try to install only some packages...

Have a nice day,
~flaxa

Status
Not open for further replies.