Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which linux Distro ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aminRoy

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
1. which linux Distro is the best / suitable for HDL design ?

e.g. running Quartus ii n Model-sim

2. i am a totally beginner in linux env. could somebody please give me some LINK for comprehensive FEDORA / UBUNTU commands sites.

**broken link removed**

It should work on all distros. The Linux core is basically the same in all versions, it's the user interface that is different between all the Linux flavors. If it does require a spcific desktop, you can download it and install it in whatever distro you choose.

Brian.

That's not entirely true, the Linux kernel isn't the only thing relevant. There can be library incompatibilities across distro's, and that may prevent software from working (this is why compiled binaries are distro-specific).

For software that's in the distribution's repositories, this is not an issue. Large / complex, closed-source software like Quartus often brings its own version of libraries it needs. Not necessarily a good thing (for several reasons), but it does reduce the library incompatibility problem.

In practice: just pick a popular, well supported distribution, and chances are you'll be fine. If you want to maximize the chances of HDL software working, pick a distro that's most similar to the ones officially supported by the software you want to run (in the case of Quartus: CentOS or OpenSuSE). Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu etc. (and close derivatives) are usually fine too.

well fedora has a specific spin for the electronics enthusiast **broken link removed**

Reactions: yura717

yura717

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
To be honest any distribution should fill Your needs.. although, when picking one, You might take a closer look on two things:

1. Community
Look for developer-packed communities (Fedora/CentOS, Debian, Gentoo) or just go with any popular distribution or it's derivatives (Ubuntu etc.).. people with experience in Your field of interest are a good source for support and additional resources.

2. Tools availability
Keep in mind that not all distributions support EDA tools "out of the box". Look for those that provide those tools in their official/unofficial repositories.

Some links that might help..

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

One last advice.. if Your new to the field, try to pick a system, that will let You develop Your Linux knowledge along with Your main field if interest, not overwhelm You with it's internals. The system should be a tool, not a goal in itself.

If you are new to linux, I would suggest Ubuntu, which is very user friendly. I can confirm that Quartus does in fact work on Ubuntu, I have tried it myself before. I can also confirm that modelsim works on Ubuntu, as I currently have it installed on my Ubuntu 12.04 machine.

I assume that you are using Quartus for FPGA HDL designs? If not, there are many other IDE's which can be installed in Ubuntu (Geany being my personal favourite).
In the Ubuntu repositories you will also find VHDL compilers (freehdl) which could serve as alternatives to Modelsim if you please.

As for support, the Ubuntu community is huge (https://ubuntuforums.org/), and what you cant find on their forums, you will most likely find with Google.

Although Ubuntu is really user friendly, you can still get real down and dirty since the linux terminal environment is still available.

You will quickly pick up terminal commands by Googling for a Bash Cheat Sheet.

Good luck!

I think Ubuntu has science tools application inbuilt .. you can have many opensource/proprietary softwares.

Status
Not open for further replies.