Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which IC will consume less energy 89c51 or 89s51?

Status
Not open for further replies.

microlab

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
89 s51

hai all
i am working on a project which is a slave display.
i would like to know the following
which ic (at89c51/at89s51both 40 pin dip) will consume less power
or any other ic with the 8051 core with the above package which will consume less power than the specified one?and we have to consider the cost and the programming parameters also.
i would like to get valuable advises.

reg

ml

common cathode seven segment with 89c51

As far as the power consumption ic concerned it looks like 89CXX (20mA @ 1MHz) is slightly better than 89SXX (25mA @ 1MHz) ..
Also, comparing AT89XXX with the other 8051-derivatives, AT series consumes ≤ power than the others .. of course, we are talking about DIP40 package ..

Regards,
IanP

Re: 89c51/89s51

hai
if we select at89c51 working at 11.0592mhz with 10 seven segment displays
what could be the power consumption?all are common cathode and i use bc 558 for switching.

ml

The current consumption will vary depending on how many segments in each digit will be ON ..

In the worst case scenario, with all 7 segmants in all 10 digits ON, and assuming that the average current to a single segment is someting like 5mA you will have 5mA * 7 * 10 ≈ 350mA plus at least ≈20mA for the microcontroller ..

Treat this as a rough estimation, but moretheless it gives you a picture of what you can expect of it ..

Regards,
IanP

microlab said:
with 10 seven segment displays
what could be the power consumption?all are common cathode and i use bc 558 for switching.

I suggest to read carefully this threads:

Status
Not open for further replies.