Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which female coaxial connector to use for spectrum analyzer input?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xylon89del

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am building a PC-based spectrum analyzer here.

I did a small study on Agilent spectrum analyzer.
It uses Type-N female as RF input, BNC female as trigger input, and SMA female as antenna input.

Is it the standard how industries do? or it is just Agilent ways?

What type of connector is the best to be used for my PC-based spectrum analyzer RF input?

:idea:

N-Type connector is proper upto 18GHz..
Cheap and robust..

newer spectrum analyzer now use SMA, especially anything low-cost or portable. The only good thing about type N is that you can stand on it without snapping it off.

Both standard N and SMA connectors are specified with a durability of 500 matings. This is a rather low number for a lab instrument. I don't know, if the manufacturers are using connectors of different specification for the frequently used connectors. I would expect a higher lifetime from ruggedized N connectors.

newer spectrum analyzer now use SMA, especially anything low-cost or portable. The only good thing about type N is that you can stand on it without snapping it off.

It seems that SMA and Type-B have equivalent performance rating.

What is the advantage of SMA that makes it more widely used in newer spectrum analyzer?

It is compatible with 2.9 connector, which max rating may reach 40GHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back