Which DSP chip can I use directly on breadboard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doogle

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Starting DSP

Hi!

I've recently started electronics as a hobby, and after doing some PIC stuff, I want to try DSP coding (mainly for audio). I've been looking around on the net, mainly (manufacturer-wise) at Microchip's, TI's and Analog Devices' websites, trying to decide which DSP chip I want to use. However, the problem is (and I know this is going to sound silly), since I'm a begginner, I'm doing all my construction on breadboards (so far), and I don't want to buy a prototyping board, I need (I think) a chip that comes in DIP or PDIP packaging. Which seems to be none of the DSPs I want. Can anyone recommend a solution to my problem. eg. a DIP chip that I can just stick on my breadboard, adaptor sockets or something else.

(oh yeah, regarding a programmer for it, I feel, given the programming spec for a chip, I could build a simple serial-port programmer for it with a PIC)

Thanks!

Re: Starting DSP

I would like to add to this, since maybe it will help Doogle and myself...

PC soundcards are more than capable today, some with 96k sample rates. Is there a site with code / tutorials on getting started with DSP programming using sound cards?

I would like to suggest Microchip dsPIC30F2010-20E/SPG.

You can also get free sample from them. To get more details check out this link -
**broken link removed**

Only problem is the ICD2 is expensive.

cheers.

Starting DSP

I suggest TI tms320vc54x serials, its ratio of capability and price is the best to the voice process.

I'd suggest you go for either TI's or Analog Devices' stuff: they are the mainstream DSP players, now and for long time to come. DSPic is just a microcontroller with added features, not really a DSP.

If you just need the features of a microcontroller with added features, you'd better go for Motorola's 56F800 series (although I really don't like it too much). With TI and ADI you'll always find REAL DSPs with microcontroller features: PWM, ADC, etc.

For TI, try to find out within the C2000 family.
For ADI, go for either the ADMC or ADSP-2199x families.

JaaC

All the Analog and TI DSPs seem to be in packages with more pins than I have holes on my breadboard. I know I might be trying to run before I can walk, and it seems that what I'm looking for (semi-powerful DSP in a DIP or PDIP package) might not exist. My soldering is bad enough without having to try to solder 100+ pins just to try out a DSP (as I can't really afford a prototyping board).

If someone can offer an alternative solution to my problem that'd be great. It doesn't *have* to be a DIP chip. maybe someone makes a cheap (cost of DSP + a tiny bit more) 'interface' board for a DSP, so that most of the control and logic is taken care of and I just need to connect a few lines instead of 100+, but is cheap enough that I can buy another one for each project (so not a prototyping board).

If using through hole parts is your only option, then do a more thorough search about DSPic.

Regards,

JaaC

jimbies said:
I would like to suggest Microchip dsPIC30F2010-20E/SPG.

I would suggest dsPIC as well. But I think dsPIC is still new. Not much application notes.

[/quote] DIP chip that I can just stick on my breadboard, adaptor sockets or something else.
If you are looking for a kind of connector to "transform" chips into DIP, try "machine tooled" on jameco.com

There are some sockets that u would like there.

Sorry for that quote thing, just learining to use that.....

it should have bee the first part a quote and the sdecond the real thing... sorry

Look for Machine tooled on jameco or some other electronics supliers, they are not expensives either.

Are they available for 100 LQFP packages? I'd love to see that!!!

JaaC

I came across this japaneese site ..This guys has some DSP projects that you can do and he uses a simple AVR and amanzingly also a small DRAM
this project can be migrated to a lot of cpus (better to use on with a harware multiplier like the cygnal ).. with a little more power ..But to start doing DSP is starting point !
you can learn to do
DELAY
ECHO
PITCH CONVERSION
PITCH MODULATION
FILTER
BALANCE MODULATION

http://elm-chan.org/works/vp/report.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…