Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which designer is better: Analog IC or Digital IC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony_taoyh

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Analog IC designer who know Digital IC design

Digital IC designer who know Analog IC design

It seems that it is very difficult to do both at the same time...

Thanks.

Please give some explanation.

Re: Which one is better?

well if u ask me.. i wud say a digital IC designer with some knoledge of analog is better.. not much ppl know there is an analog side to the IC Design.. most companies ask for digital IC designers..exposure to digital side is more.. very rarely see analog IC related questions asked in the forum too :d

kinda very tough to decide on the filed of expertise..

jes a jack of all trade and master of ONE :D

with regards,

it's difficult for a analog designer to know deep digital designs,but a good digital designer is know deep analog design and expert in digital system design.

I don't agree with that. From my experience, to be a analog IC expert, u need at leats 10 years experience while digital ic design required less. since dwhen we consider a digital ic down to physical implementation (layout), it's just analog.

Which one is better?

better

Which one is better?

A good analog designer need to know very well about the device/process/layout

A good digital need to know very well about Spec.Architecture,Algorithm
normally speaking . digital designer has the system view
and analog designer has the component/device view

In my opinion, create a key component(IC) is hard then System guide.

That is a intresting question, but i think analog knowledge is not important for a digital designer, somewhat like that digital knowledge is not important for an analog deigner.

according to me I would always vote on analog design as the more challenging one ....well thats another reason you dont get any tom & harry doing analog but there are loads of digital guys around ...by the way I myself am into digital :)

Which one is better?

Hi. both "bestyang":"it's difficult for a analog designer to know deep digital designs,but a good digital designer is know deep analog design and expert in digital system design."
and "Alvinnju":
"Digital IC designer who know Analog IC design
better"
are right, and they are not conflicting with each other. I think the truth here among local engineers
is that most of new analog designers have strong digital background, especialy circuit design, that is
very good and different from traditional analog guys
from US. Look at the recruit market nowadays in US,
analog and mixsignal guys are so hot and paid more. But digital system level IC design is still hard,
not like normal logic designers, so compared with analog experienced guys, they both are extremely
expert.

Which one is better?

as i understand, the people who design digital circuit
uses analog circuit.that means digital desigers care more about the application of analog not the design of it!
the same explain to the second words.

Quite interesting comments here!

What makes this interesting, is that most 'analog' IC;s today are really mixed signal, and have some digital aspects, and most 'digital' IC's have some analog blocks (PLL, ADC's ...), and, at the device/implementation level, analog issues dominates!

So, IMHO,

A good digital designer should be aware of some of the analog issues.

A good analog designer should be confortable (and willing) to do some digital design, and to support digital designers as needed with analog issues.

Probably not so easy to master both! 'Jack of all trades', master at one is probably the best compromise.

Which one is better?

For me, digital designer would be better because I am a digital designer. :)

Which one is better?

analog design requires skill whereas digital depends upon the designer's ability to handle design tools to a greater extent rather than design itself when compared to analog.

It is a little bit difficult, but you can be an expert in one area,
and try to learn more at the other. However, it should be very
difficult for one guy to be an expert both in digital and in analog areas.
It may take the whole life time of a guy to be an expert in any one.

Which one is better?

As to me ,digital ic designer is a better choice!

I am a digital designer, but currently I am trying to understand some analog knowedge since when you deep into the back-end design, you should know a lot of analog.
Digital designer with knowledge of analog is better :)

Which one is better?

it is relation with youe background.
had majored in the semiconduct, you may be a analog engineer who know Digital IC design

I think Analog design goes deep into the physics of the circuits. Digital design is at a bit higher level.

Analog designer directly face to physics of silicon . but digital designer face logic function more

I think a Analog IC designer who know Digital IC design

is better, because I feel analog design is more difficult.

tony_taoyh said:
Analog IC designer who know Digital IC design

It seems that it is very difficult to do both at the same time...

Thanks.

Please give some explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back