Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which compiler to buy: CCS or C2C?

Status
Not open for further replies.

msmax

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Finally I decided to program my next PIC16F877 design in C, which will also be a good reason to learn C-programming.

Please advise me which compiler to go with.
What are the pro's and con's for these two compilers, so I can decide and order one of them.

Thanks for your help.

I have use CCS and HTPIC C and I recommand you CCS is very complete. It's come with all library rs232, i2c, timer etc... and some driver lcd, real time clock etc...

You can make a comparison here

**broken link removed**

You should also take a look at Hi-Tech C
https://www.htsoft.com

If you want full ANSI compatibility.

I have chosen it for all my PIC project because it is quite easy to port a project from an other CPU (like 8051 keil).

Please also note that it is not as easy to handle as CCS, but ANSI compatibility was my goal ...

best regards

CCS is update very frequently

Hi,

I recommend CCS becuase it have a several built-in functions.

Bye

CCS is not an ANSI compliant compiler, it is more like K&R C. There is really only one danger with CCS and it has to do with the 30-days of free downloads option. Typically whenever you see that new chips have been added that means new bugs are present too. Lately the updates to CCS have been about one per month, but it is not unusual to have three updates in one week.

The best thing to do with CCS is buy the full year package, which allows you to download the updates throughout the year. Keep all the ones you download since sometimes you might have to back-track if a newly introduced bug stops you from development.

- Jayson

HI-Tech PICC only complexity is in the setting up stage and integrating tith MPLAB. Once over it is very enjoyable.

msmax said:
Finally I decided to program my next PIC16F877 design in C, which will also be a good reason to learn C-programming.
Thanks for your help.
c2c had several bugs :(
ccs has µC setup wizard, easy for beginers. try it !

I use CCS here and I'm very happy with it. It's not ansi, but once you figure out its quirks its as good as anything else. The built in functions are ok. You usually end up doctoring them up a bit. Some register manipulations can only be done under asm. They also have a good active user forum. Good Luck.

CCS is very used in Brazil, some developers like this C compiler because are easy utilization and have many libraries.
I use CCS at any years and look many advantages...check the compiler page and realize your comparation...

Gorkin

I would suggest Hi-Tech or CCS.

If you are a hobbyist, you might wanna go with CCS (price around 300$, Hi-tech is>800$!!)

Regards,

i think CCS have a lot of built-in functions so easy to use..

Hi

I use CCS and I highly recommend it. Easy to use and build in fuctions, atleast you can save your time in writing the functions yourself. Use CCS if you have only a few projects or otherwise go for ANSI C compiler which is definetly HTPIC.

Regds

happy_99

Hi,

Definitely I would go with CCS compiler.
Take a look at : **broken link removed** !
It's not so big deal it's not 100% ANSI C!

BYE

:D :D :D

I have tried HT_PIC, MCHIP C18, C2C, IAR and CCS. Definitely i recomend CCS for low and mid range MCUs, and MCHP C18 for 18F PIC's.
Regards,
Simce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back