Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where to find HDL processor in synthesizable Verilog/VHDL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

solvall

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HDL experience

Where can I get this microprocessor in synthesizable Verilog or VHDL code?

Re: Synthesizable HDL code for 8051

I can recommend the Oregano 8051 IP core v.1.4.
I managed to implement it in my Spartan3 FPGA.
The clock I could get was around 33MHz.
Considering that oregano is a 2cycle core instead of standard 12-cycles,
effective speed was as if the 200MHz clock was connected to the 12-cycle part.
All programs written for a standard 8051 were running over six times faster and flawlessly.
I used interrupts, counters, serial communications, and all worked fine.
Very easy core to implement.

regards, yego

Synthesizable HDL code for 8051

Are all the 8051 cores same ? to be precise is Dallas DS89C450 architecture same as other 8051 MCUs?

Re: Synthesizable HDL code for 8051

fireball003 said:
Are all the 8051 cores same ? to be precise is Dallas DS89C450 architecture same as other 8051 MCUs?
I don't know the Dallas chip, but if they say it is, then it must be compatible. Yet another issue is the speed of the core. original 8051 is a 12-cycles core, while some other cores are two or even one cycle. This difference must be taken under considration whenever timer/counter block is used to generate some other timings for your program.
Sometimes they feed the clock source directly from the same clock the core is connected to, sometimes it is divided by some factor in the prescaler. Read the datasheets to learn those differences.
Besides, the DS89C450 is not a synthesizeable core for FPGAs, so I think you should have asked your question in some more appropriate thread to get more accurate answer.
Regards, yego

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back