Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where single-phase ac motor is better than three-phase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kabuto15

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi.
I built some voltage source inverter to supply single-phase motor. I met some person, who told me that using single-phase induction motor with inverter have got no sense, because it isn't economical. Ok, I said. Now, I want to prove this guy that in some special applications using single-phase is better than three-phase. Maybe, you know some applications where using single-phase+inverter is better than three-phase+inverter ?

What's exactly a single phase motor in your opinion? A motor must have a rotating field at least to produce a starting torque.
So "single phase" only means, it can be connected to a single phase grid, but internally, it utilizes phase shift. Most "single phase"
motors are either two-phase (capacitor) motors or split pole (split phase) motors.

are i think it matters with how much load on your motor.........then decide whether go to single phase or three phase....but for three phase circuitry will be more complex than single..
MOD: Hope there is no need for bold letters

Simple V/f control is only a little more complex for three-phase. The main disadvantages of single-phase motor: it hasn't starting torque, need capacitor (PSC), it's bigger, small efficiency. But in some abstracts I find the new methods of controls for single-phase (like IRFOC with speed estimation !, ISFOC https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/docs/00/43/34/90/PDF/Boussak_tpel_final.pdf). Why some scientists try to develop new methods ?

As expectable, the mentioned literature doesn't say a word about a "single phase" motor being better in VFD applications
any way. The only motivation for these designs is the obvious fact , that the motor type is very common and it doesn't pay
in some cases to redesign an existing motor.

Because the presented circuits are full three-phase bridges, the electronic part count isn't different from a standard three-phase
motor drive. But due to the unsymmetrical currents, the ultilization is worse, you also have higher bus ripple current and a pulsating
torque and possibly higher control effort.

Apart from this, I keep my opinion, that these motors should be better designated two-phase motors according to their construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.