Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Where best to order a stock of basic components to complete...30 projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScholarGypsy

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have the Mr. Circuit One book (see www.eki.com) with 30 projects, but I need to order all the components to build and solder the projects. As presented, these are only Breadboarding projects and I am teaching my Grandchildren and want the to solder on perf board.

The problem was I went to Mouser's website and for resisters, had to choose between about 15 different suppliers of Resisters. I figure I need about a Dozen resisters for each project, and also to have a ready supply of resisters for later projects.

The first resister was 10 Ohm. The first supplier I clicked on did not even make a 10 Ohm resister.

And how can I choose right from all of these types?
resistors smd resistors (4041)
metal film tht resistors (1897)
power resistors (1647)
carbon tht resistors (998)
resistor networks (385)
heating resistors (22)
fusible resistors (17)

I have to buy Four Each of everything for Four students in my house. Then I want extra. But I can go bankrupt
buying supplies and kits from some of these "Educational" houses.

I know not SMD, but.... aren't some of these clearly expensive for a simple educational project?

I felt discouraged right away and lost in this process. Clearly, some manufacturers probably produce such a high quality I don't even need it. But I don't know how to.

I assume that about everything for these little projects is about 1/4 Watt? in power rating?

Can someone advise me as to ordering in quantities of about 10 to 12 etc for all these compnents.

Last edited:

You need an assortment of 1/4W carbon resistors with leads. 5 or 10 % tolerance.

Here is one containing 10 each of values from 10 ohms to 1 M. Tolerance 5%.

Price $ 11.50 at All-Electronics. (Works out to 1.9 cents ea.) I have done business with them before and I believe you would be happy with them.

I've purchased from both of the following and I am satisfied with their service, although my preference is Tayda Electronics as they ship much quicker (7-14days) than Futurlec (up to four weeks):

They both offer 1/4W 5% Carbon Film Resistors for about 1 cent a piece with a minimum order of 10 units.

Tayda Electronics 1/4W Carbon Film Resistors

Futurlec - High Quality 1/4Watt (0.25W) 5% Tolerance Carbon Film Resistors

Futurlec also has Value Packs which same you a few percent, although I prefer to order exact what I need:

Futurlec Value Packs

If you do order from Tayda, I typically opt for the Economic Expedited Shipping, its worth the few extra dollars.

On the other hand, it seems to make little difference when ordering from Futurlec.

Tayda Electronics also typically has 15% off discount codes on their Facebook page:

Tayda Electronics Facebook

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back