Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

When we use 3 terminal and when we use 4 terminal Mosfets in a Design.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlsi123

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

As per my understanding we can have 3 terminal or 4 terminal mosfets in our Design. Some designs uses only 3 terminal mosfets where we don't want the connection of Bulk ( I can say Substrate connection) . In most of the scenarios we need bulk connection means 4 terminals. So please can anyone tell me when do we need to use 3 terminal Mosfet and when do we need to use 4 terminal Mosfet in designs.?

I know p type substrate for nmos ( connected to ground) and n type substrate for pmos ( connected to vdd) . But i am not clearly aware how is this useful in a design.? Why it is of not much importance in some design where we don't need substrate connection.?

I have seen in one thread here that lateral parasitic diodes are formed. To avoid that we use substrate connection.? Is there any other reason in addition to it.?

If that is the case why don't we need this substrate connection in some designs.?

Thanks
vlsi123
Thanks,
Chaitra

this what i understand:

a 3 terminal mosfet have default connection of source to substrate.

a 4 terminal one have separate connection points.

and a 3 terminal PMOS has the bulk connected to a global node, usually named VDD. They are all really 4 terminal, it is just a convenience to avoid drawing the fourth connection all the time when it is often not used.

Keith.

Read up on body effect. Some designs make use it for sub-threshold operation. Some want to eliminate it by shorting the body to source, especially in cases where you do not have enough headroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back