Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

When do you use high value Y capacitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupoftea

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
What are the SMPS's , where when designing them, you would use high value Y capacitors (say four 100nF Y capacitors).
....And simply not use any common mode choke at all.
(The Y capacitors being connected from chassis metal to circuit ground)

Why would you ever do this?
(Apologies, i searched but cant find docs on high value Y cap EMC performance, when no common mode choke is used)

Thanks, sorry i should have said, this converter feeds off isolated DC input of 5V..and gives out 24V at 90W. As such, we are not in a position to be able to inject leakage current back into the mains...if thats what was meant?

I think this should be better understood from the aspect of AC impedance. When using a larger Y capacitor, EMC is better based on the input common mode inductance. If there is no input common mode inductance, its impedance is still not small enough. Therefore, using a large capacity Y capacitor can only use a smaller input common mode inductance, but not cancel the inductance.

Status
Not open for further replies.