Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

when do i need to use RS 232 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebtehal younis

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i've read about RS 232 and i'm not sure when to use it. i want to connect sensors to a pic MCU using SPI interfacing, so i need to use RS 232 between or not?

The RS-232 standard is an asynchronous serial protocol primarily used to establish serial communications between DTE and DCE devices.

For example between a MCU and a PC running an application.

The SPI protocol is a synchronous serial protocol primarily used to establish serial communications between a MCU and a peripheral device.

For example, between an 8051 variant and Real Time Clock (RTC) with a SPI interface.

They are normally never required to be implemented for the same interface.

You might use an RS-232 connection to transmit information to your PC, which originated from a peripheral device attached to your MCU via an SPI interface.

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back