arunapai

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Whats the relation between dB and dBm?

Re: dB and dBm

I ve another doubt here.. My spec says that signal should be within 16dBm(+-3dB).

Is this correct?

xdB = 10 log (Pout / Pin ) used to measure power gain

xdB = 10 log ( P / 10^-3 ) used to measure power

Actualy I think it depends on what do you refer to, power or voltage. For power it is as the_risk_master said, but for voltage it is:

20*log(Vout/Vin) for dB, and 20*log(V/0.77) for dBm, not sure for 0.77!
And another thing, xdB = 10 log (P) is not true for one thing, P is in watts so it has to be devided by watts so we could use log()... It should be 10*log(Pout/Pin)...

For the second question, I am not sure what is your question, but I can help you this way:
10*log(P/1mW)=16 => P=1mw*10^(1.6)≈39.8mW this may mean that your signal must be at least 39mW...

Your signal must be larger than 13dBm and smaller than 19dBm That is how it is !

16dbm+3db=19dbm

Hello arunapai,

Go through the attached nice PDF document on "dB Everything you ever wanted to know about decibels but were afraid to ask…"....

---manju---

16dBm +-3dB

I have probably written it that way (dBm +-dB) a thousand times and never realized that it was possibly not technically accurate :!:
Maybe 16dBm +-3dBm :?:

13dBm ~= 20mW
19dBm ~= 79mW
You can convert that into E or I based on the load

:idea:
dB is an expression of the power ratio between any two signals.

dBm ( sometimes called dBmW )has one of the signals to reference built in: 1 milliwatt and is therefore a measure of signal level. So 0dBm = 1mW.
2mW = 10xlog10(2) ~ 3dBm.

If you work it backwards you can prove that there is a square relationship between power and voltage or current which is equal to 2 x log of a number. Therefore if the ratio is in voltage or current then the formula is 20 x log(ratio).

A 'Bell' unit was too large ( like a Farad ) so they used 1/10 of a Bell or a decibel. If I remember right, it was Alexander Bell of the Telephone fame that described the exponential relationship between the power in an audio signal and it's apparent loudness.

Simple relation between dB and dBm is:

1dB= 1dBm+30
Hope it helps you.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…