Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Whats the difference between PCI express & original PCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

boot_strap

Pci Express..?

can anybody tell me what is the difference between pci express & original pci..?

Re: Pci Express..?

totally different animals
pci and pcix are single ended, around 100MHz; pci express are differential, around Ghz
the architecture scheme is also different

Can you tell me where 3.3V PCI is ued? I observed the connectors on my computer's motherboard and some PCI devices and found that only 5V cards are used in home PC's.

The main difference between PCI & PCI_Express is -
pci - parallel shared bus protocol
pci express - serial point to pint protocol

3.3v Is Commonly Used This Dayd Days, In Fact PCI Latest Standard 3.0 Is 3.3V Only. 5V PCI Are Old Board.

Pci Express..?

Is this difficult to implement a FPGA-based PCI card?
I'm planning to do this project but I don't know where to begin?

Can some one share some documents on PCI?
has any project over FPGA-based PCI card interface been done before?

Thank you in advance!

About PCI Express technology

PCI Express technology is the new industry-standard I/O targeted to provide local connectivity across desktop, mobile, enterprise and communications platforms. PCI Express resides at the center of enterprise interconnect innovations anticipated across storage, networking, and clustering and workstations. Next-generation servers, utilizing PCI Express technology, will offer powerful and cost-effective computing platforms, scalable hardware building blocks, market-tested best-of-breed solutions, and enterprise-class reliability, availability, serviceability and manageability.

https://developer.intel.com/technology/pciexpress/devnet/index.htm

The I/O Revolution Has Begun

PCI Express* architecture is a new chip-to-chip interconnect that offers overwhelming benefits to the communications and embedded industries over other niche technologies. The enormous benefits of a common chip-to-chip interconnect for board-level designs encompass the entire ecosystem of computing and communications silicon manufacturers, silicon Intellectual Property (IP) vendors and equipment developers.

And another thing... Yes you can do PCI project in FPGA implementation . It's not that easy but you can get many webresources.... I will post some.. someday...

quick question....could i place and pci-express video card into an pci slot?????

~Thanks

Pci Express..?

how can i do PCI-Express on FPGA? What about PIPE interface? What about PHY?

If you want to do a FPGA project about PCI Express, you still need a high speed interface circuits which is actually a SerDes.

computergeek said:
quick question....could i place and pci-express video card into an pci slot?????

~Thanks

Simply put NO you can't. PCI express and PCI are 2 totally different connectors sets. They are NOT interchangable.

hi to all...i am doing pci express project ...i am facing difficulty in transaction layer...how to calculate byte count and how the partitioning of the read completion data is done based on RCB.
thank you,
hope u will help me.
kapil.....

Pci Express..?

pci - parallel shared bus protocol
pci express - serial point to point protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.